Travel news forum

Ko Phi Phi shooting

• donmillerx

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Horrible news:
    Apparently three young, thai teenagers were shot, at a beach bar on Ko Phi Phi, Christmas day. One, killed instantly. Apparently, violence reaches even the most beautiful, remote corners of the earth.
    I can't imagine how this must be affecting the small island. My deepest condolences go out to their friends, family and everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.

#1 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Terrible news -- I've been trying to find a news report of this online but can't find anything -- did you read about it online?

#2 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 15:21

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

#3 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 17:26

• donmillerx

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Sorry, unfortunately that's all that I found.

#4 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 11:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

This is not uncommon at all. Thailand has a very high rate of gun violence. Thailand has the fourth highest rate in the world (although there are no stats for some countries like Somalia) at 41.5 per hundred thousand. Contrast that with the US, which many people cite for a high rate of gun violence, which is 9.1 per hundred thousand. We had a killing on my street last year (and one kid was wounded). At the fair this year five kids were shot, two fatally. At the local club a guy was shot and killed when my wife was there. I saw a shooting at the Carabao concert here. fortunately for tourists, this violence is almost all Thai on Thai and revolves around issues of face and gang conflict which we aren't part of. The fact that Thais are friendly and smile a lot has given many people the false impression that theirs is a peaceful culture - it's not.

#5 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 12:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.