Travel technology forum

Taking Macbook pro with me

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

I really want to make my macbook with me traveling, but my girlfriend who is coming with me doesn't think that we should because she doesn't want it to get wrecked. I understand this as well but I don't want to go out and buy a new netbook or something before we leave.

has anyone had trouble bringing a macbook or just a laptop in general with them.

#1 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 09:09

• Advertisement

• BIGharry

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Been on the road in S/E Asia with my MacBook Pro for 18 months now & no problems aside from occasional paranoia when staying a dodgy guesthouses. Just keep it out of sight from cleaners who may enter your room when you're not there, be vigilant when outdoors in the rainy season and consider getting it insured before you leave. Otherwise do what I do & accept that nothing lasts forever & we buy these things to enjoy them before they become paperweights in about 18 months! Enjoy your travels.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 10:52

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

If you don't mind me asking what do you do to keep it safe in the guesthouses and hostels? Do you use a pacsafe and tie it to the bed post or something?

#3 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 11:56

• BIGharry

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I keep it at the bottom of my rucksack under a mound of soiled socks & underwear & heaven help anyone who dares rummage through these befouled garments in search of anything valuable. :)

#4 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 13:18

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

Hahaha. Thats funny. I didn't relize there were such a cheap and efective way to keep people from stealling my valuables. Wrap them up dirty socks and underwear. Can't believe I didn't think of that before.

haha

#5 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 22:25

• yelvington

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2010

Another place to hide valuables is the top of the wardrobe, if you stay in a room that has one. Take a look at the top of one and you'll discover (from the layer of dust) that no one has looked up there in years.

You can get a Kensington cable lock and secure the laptop to the bedframe. I've done that a couple of times when I'm staying somewhere that doesn't have a room safe, or doesn't have one big enough for the laptop.

You're not likely to lose or break your Macbook Pro, but at some point you'll wish you had, because the more you travel the heavier it gets and you'll feel like you're hauling around an engine block. I hauled one to Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. Second trip, I left the engine block at home and took a pocket-size Nokia tablet.

A netbook is a great compromise because it's big enough to be useful -- you can post your photos to the Web while you're on the road -- but small and light enough to disappear. I took my daughter's Acer Aspire One to Europe and it was great. Bought myself an 11.6-inch Acer, which I now prefer to my MacBook for just about everything.

#6 Posted: 27/6/2010 - 09:09

• SometimesTh-
    ai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

i always have a lock on whatever bag I have so I always lock my macbook pro inside. I have the 13" and think the 15" would a bit cumbersome. never regret carrying it with me though. Can't wait to get an Ipad for weight and ease of carrying.

#7 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 05:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.