Travel technology forum

Calling Uk from Thailand, Cambodia & Laos

• agp105

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010

Hi, im travelling to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for 2 months from August and would like to know the cheapest and best way to call home! I do not really want to be confined to internet cafe's or anything like that so is it worth getting a roaming sim or a sim from the above countries? Or is it worth just sticking to internet cafes and telephone boxes?

Ash

#1 Posted: 5/7/2010 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Cheapest is to set up a Skype account and use internet cafes. Or your own netbook, if you are taking one. Internet cafes are pretty much everywhere, so you don't need to go far to find one. Not so good for privacy, though, but a look around will usually find a quiet one.

A local Sim card is a good idea for local calls, but likely to be expensive for calling abroad. Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go.

#2 Posted: 6/7/2010 - 19:52

• agp105

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010

I thought it might be! Thanks! Are local sim cards cheap and easy to find?

#3 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 21:16

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Extremely easy. I can't remember all the details, but do remember I bought in the 7-11 in Thailand for about £2-£3, which included a fair bit of calltime for calls within the country. Laos & Cambodia were similar, but don't remember full details.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 15:45

• agp105

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010

Cheers mate! much appreciated!

#5 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 14:53

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I buy a card from CAT telecom for calling the US. Costs 500 baht and gives me over 7 hours of talk time. I use it with my Thai phone so don't know how it would work with a foreign simm. It would only be good for Thailand though.

#6 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 20:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

If you go with Skype, I'd recommend taking your own headset.

#7 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.