Travel technology forum

Internet access whilst traveling?

• sofiainswe

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

I'm planing to spend about 4 months next year traveling through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, but I am a college student. I will be taking all my classes online so all I need is my small laptop and internet access to get by, I'm just wondering if there is any type of wifi i can purchase that I could use all over. Or just in general how to go about accessing the internet in south east Asia.

#1 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 08:32

• Advertisement

• Mjsmith1982

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2011

I've used a device called a Wi-Fire when traveling. If you think you'll be in reach of hotspots/in more urban areas, the Wi-Fire just increases the range that you can connect to a router at. You just plug it in and it's like a little antenna that boosts the range/speed. Again, this will only help improve the range for hotspots so if you won't be in a location where you can access any, it's not for you.

The company is www.hfield.com Good luck with your travels!

#2 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 22:40

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

You get wi-fi everywhere

#3 Posted: 2/7/2011 - 01:54

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Not quite everywhere, and not every guesthouse has it. Many guesthouses that do have it only have a signal in the lobby or restaurant area, not in the rooms. And presumably you'll want to work in your room so you can concentrate.

As a backup, if there's a phone signal you get your own access to the internet on your laptop by using a USB modem or dongle. It uses a sim card which are generally very cheap in SE Asia, and you just top it up using a mobile phone.

Many different brands of this small gadget are available (in Bangkok anyway) and the price depends on the speed. I bought mine in an IT mall and it cost about 1,200B. I think I've seen them sold in 7/11s too...they aren't hard to find anyway.

I'm not exactly sure how much an hour's internet costs ... sometimes the card got used up much more quickly than other times so maybe there's a charge every time you connect... 60B or less an hour (ish). Free wifi is better of course but sometimes guesthouses charge for using their wifi too.

It's not as fast as ADSL but fine for stuff like emails. I haven't used it in Laos or Cambodia but it works in places like Sri Lanka where nobody seemed to have heard of wifi a couple of years ago. That's where I found out about USB modems because everyone uses them there.

#4 Posted: 2/7/2011 - 06:09

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Wi-fi and internet cafes are nearly as common as rice and noodles out here! haha! you shall be fine my friend.

Happy travels :)

#5 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 08:44

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree with SBE, once you are off the beaten track or on a remote island somewhere you may not have internet access 24/7 and internet cafes aren't open at 2am when you can't sleep - [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, there aren't ATM's everywhere in Laos either.

#6 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 08:58

• nerja

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2011

I don't understand why people who travel to Asia are so concern about wifi and internet, you should enjoy rural places and islands like paradises as locals do, don't waste your time in front of a computer. I rather watch life pass by, enjoy a sunset, speak to locals and monks about culture and religion,play with children....what's the point of travelling to Asia if one does same thing like back at home? If you can't sleep at 2 am there are many things one can do( listen to the sound of waves, party with the locals...)...It's not that I am against internet while travelling, but I get pissed off when I travel and I see people at the hostels with the computers for hours. I wonder how people managed to travel in the past!!!! Send postcards to the loved ones, they will love it!!!!!!

#7 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 14:43

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

sometimes the agenda got acclimated up abundant added bound than added times so maybe there's a allegation every time you connect..

#8 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 10:59

• rclark

Click here to learn more about rclark
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2013
    Location Canada

"I don't understand why people who travel to Asia are so concern about wifi and internet, you should enjoy rural places and islands like paradises as locals do, don't waste your time in front of a computer."

Well said, nerja! Of course internet access can be handy for keeping in touch with friends and family abroad, sometimes the real fun in a journey is the moment where you're disconnected from the world beyond and solely focused on the present...

#9 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 17:49

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you read the first post, you will see that the OP is planning on studying. That's a fair enough reason. They're obviously in a position that will allow them to continue their studies as well as see a bit of the world. What's wrong with that?

I carried a laptop and wanted online access as I travelled as I had certain obligations and a business of sorts that I needed to keep an eye on back home. (Not to mention just wanting to keep in touch with family). Everyone will have their own reasons.

I will be travelling again soon. Some of my travel time will be in remote places where internet will be limited. I'm good with that, and in fact, am looking forward to it. But at some point down the track, I will need internet on a regular basis to pursue some of my own study. At that point, I imagine I'll be out and about during the day, and stuck with my nose on the monitor in the evenings. Why is that so bad?

Having access to the internet can open up possibilities to travel to people who may be limited in what they could do otherwise.

#10 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I don't understand why people who travel to Asia are so concern about wifi and internet, you should enjoy rural places and islands like paradises as locals do, don't waste your time in front of a computer."

Why should you enjoy rural places? Some people like rural places, some do not. I would not deign to tell people what they should and shouldn't do. Rather what I would or wouldn't do.

As for "the locals", you're kidding me right? They love this ****. They are on all the time. My Thai wife, her sister, my Thai friends, all the guys and girls from Thai Kwon Do, my dancers - they all seem to be constantly on line.

As Liz points out, some people have good reasons to get on line at some point. Now, if that's all you're doing, I got it. Might as well stay at home. But a daily email check? Check the news. No biggie.

And yeah, access is pretty ubiquitos and getting more so.

#11 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 03:43

• EcoInternet-
    User

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with using the Internetwhile traveling ï‚›Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece and Hungary. I make this trip once every three to fourmonths to visit customers and sometimes family if time permits. My Challenge has always been find a freereliable WIFI connection. Checking myemails while at the Airport on a stopover was a nightmare, slow speeds and costan arm and a leg for very little data. And free Wifi at coffee shops and theHotels would cut in and out. So I gave up and purchased an internet stick frommy local mobile provider which worked really well, however the charges forroaming is extreme.
    After doing some research on-line I came across a neatlittle device called PiFi, it’s a router that fits in your pocket. I simply put in a SIM card and off I went noroaming fees, low cost about .80 per Mb across Europe and I could connect myphone to it to make calls and search google maps.
    Give it a try

#12 Posted: 21/6/2013 - 11:09

• morgen

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2013

We all know how much the internet is on our lives. It has numerous uses, including obtaining information, communicating with others, and keeping up with the world. It is used for business and pleasure alike.

#13 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 01:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Internet access ... By bumbly on 4 Mar 2011 5 2401 4 Mar 2011
SE Asia Internet access ... By somtam2000 on 28 Dec 2006 1 1823 29 Dec 2006
Having internet access on your phone when travelling ... By thegreyblur on 6 Jul 2012 5 2517 3 Jul 2013
internet access & fee for business visa ... By sybille47 on 3 Oct 2008 0 1657 3 Oct 2008
internet access chiang khong ... By bgmidnightwhite on 17 Nov 2006 1 1730 17 Nov 2006
Internet access in Thailand, experience so far... ... By vladix on 12 Oct 2009 10 4546 12 Oct 2012
Laid back places in northern thailand + internet access in room? ... By webno on 1 Jul 2006 6 2540 3 Jul 2006