Travel technology forum

Unlocking Phone

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

I have an iPhone 4 which I plan on taking with me to SE Asia, I've seen a lot on here about making sure phones are unlocked, how do I find out if mine has been unlocked? And if it is should I / how do I unlock it? I will probably take it with me anyway even if I don't unlock it as I use it for taking photos sometimes and can use it to access wifi, although it will be pretty pointless if I can't make calls with it. Ta

#1 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 10:49

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Where did you buy your iPhone? If US, Canada, Japan, or Korea it is most likely locked. If it's from US you might be able to unlock it, depends on which company you got it from (if AT&T you should be able to unlock it, if Verizon - nope). If you bought the phone without going through a service provider it will definitely be unlocked. I'm pretty sure you can avoid unlocking any iPhone and still making it work by using a Still Sim along with a normal micro SIM. This is what they did for me at MBK in Bangkok when I got here for my iPhone 4 from AT&T (I'm actually not sure if Verizon iPhones can work with Still Sim or not)... Still Sim works pretty well overall, although it can be a pain to turn the phone back on if it gets switched off.

If you're coming from Europe it should be unlocked already.

#2 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 11:02

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Well I come from the UK so it should be unlocked. Actually on previous trips abroad the phone automatically used the local networks, does this mean that it is unlocked or do all phones do this? Thanks for the advice

#3 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 13:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Phiddy
    'on previous trips abroad the phone automatically used the local networks'
    That's Roaming and usually costs a lot more than a local SIM.
    I thought most phones in UK were locked to a network.
    You can have your phone unlocked in Asia relatively cheaply but remember it voids your guarantee.
    Dluek
    What is a STILL SIM?
    I hate to add this but from my experience i-phones are heavily targetted by thieves in parts of S.E.Asia so keep it zipped in your pocket and NEVER leave it lying on a table.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 07:19

• pucca_girl45

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2012

Hi
    does anyone know where a reliable place to go in BKK to unlock an ATT iphone 4 and get a SIM card to use for international and local calls? how much does something like that typically cost? I have an ATT iphone 4 that is not in use and I'd like to take it with me to use for wifi, making calls, and taking photos while i'm there.

thanks!
    pucca

#5 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 23:45

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Pucca_girl45 - I don't have experience getting an iPhone unlocked in Bangkok, however I purchased a factory unlock code on eBay for about $6 USD and it worked perfectly on my iPhone 4s. Make sure you purchase from a seller with good reviews though, sometimes the codes can be half-ass and only unlock your iphone until your next reboot if you purchase from a bad seller.

I found this guide to using an iPhone in Thailand super helpful:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k3814621-The_Definitive_Guide_to_Using_an_iPhone_in_Thailand-Thailand.html

#6 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 13:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where to get cellphone unlocking software or universal unlocking smartphone SIM card? ... By altmtl on 17 Jan 2014 2 651 18 Oct 2014