Travel technology forum

Can Use my Aust mobile in China, Vietnam, Thailand etc for local use and use laptop for YM and VOIP

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I am going to be traveling to China - Vietnam,Thailand etc for maybe six months to a year and need to stay in touch with home and people throughout the globe, so I will be buying a laptop (13inch / thin) to use for Yahoo Messenger and Ventrilo (VOIP). I will also need computer access to my websites for updating and uploading photos, videos and regular travel updates, I also need to access my servers remote controls. Can anyone offer some advice o what connections are like / costs etc.

Also thinking of taking a mobile phone, without a SIM card and thought I would buy a SIM card in each country to enable me to call people in those countries e.g. taxi, hotels, friends, restaurants etc. (Not home..computer does that) Am I thinking correctly about this, is it possible and what would it cost approximately, and would I need a SIM card for each country?

#1 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 23:52

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi TassieWombat,

I'm mainly just bumping up your thread which fell off the home page without your questions getting answered. Not being technically minded I wouldn't know how access the remote controls of a server even if it was sitting in the next room, never mind from China, but I'm certain that there are posters on TF who do know these sorts of things!

Re the phone.

Well I haven't been to either Vietnam or China, but in the SE Asian countries I have visited a local simcard is indeed the way to go and it's probably cheaper to buy a new one in each country rather than to pay roaming charges. Most simcards are very inexpensive (Myanmar being a notable exception) and there's usually some phone credit included in the price of the card as well. I'm guessing it won't cost you more than a couple of dollars to get one.

You need an unlocked phone to use pay as you go local simcards but it's easy to get that done in Bangkok if the phone you own is locked.

#2 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 13:14

• isabellaada-
    mz

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Hi, I'm using holidayphone during my foreign tour. They providing cheap and best services.These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. You can get international for your USA tour. It costs very low price than anyother international sim card. Also they are providing very good customer care services throgh online also.International SIM Cards reduce your cost of roaming by as much as 90% depending on the provider you use.SIM Card for Vietnam

#3 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 23:02

• jjpeter11

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

Pre-paid SIM cards are generally an excellent way to ensure the user gets mobile phone system which works towards your budget. You will have to pay for prior to to the items on the mobile. Hi, I'm recommending you to get holidayphone international sim card for your international trip. They are providing world class best and cheaper service for their international SIM card.International SIM Cards reduce your cost of roaming by as much as 90% depending on the provider you use. These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. Several providers also provide enhanced features like voicemail, data services and more. Cheap calls

#4 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 10:00

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

Thanks jjpeter. Not quiet there yet but getting closer. Will have a look into that. Although I really only want a phone for local usage. e.g. friends in that country, hotels, etc. Comms with home can be made using YM or Ventrilo which are free. I figure when I go away.. I am away..... do not disturb :-) However using the above methods and my web site makes people envious that they are not with me having a ball, eating lots of Asian food, relaxing in the afternoon heat and going out at night for a few drinks and more food. You know ..... Toughing it out .... it's hard ........ but someone has to do it !! :-)

#5 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 15:47

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

As SBE assumes, no problem in Vietnam. You can buy SIM card in most small shops (general stores) - Vinaphone or Mobifone being the most common. Look out for the sign saying SIM THE. I can't remember the exact cost but I have a feeling it's about 100,000VND (US$5) for a card with some credit. Some also allow you to phone internationally for a reasonable rate. You can then top up as you go.

Of course, your phone needs to be unlocked, or it won't work. And the card won't work outside Vietnam either - so pass it on to someone else at the end of your trip if you don't plan on coming back.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 20:37

• nowme

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2013

I'm sure you can get phone there, but if you need to call other countries you can use calling cards or phone cards however we call it, recommend you this website for phone cards epincall.com, really low rates from most countries.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 20:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.