Travel technology forum

Has anyone booked in Agoda.com?

• rlpangahas

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

I really need to know if they are reliable. I am planning to book most of the hotels we'll be staying via agoda.com. I just don't know if it's really reliable or not. :-/

#1 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 10:50

• Advertisement

• laurentiu

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2011

I booked quite a few hotels with Agoda and never had any problems but I did not need to contact their support yet. I think they cover a lot more hotels in Asia than other web sites.

#2 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 11:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yep, I've also used them several times over the years - for accom in SE Asia, and in the US. No problems.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 13:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I use it regularly, though not all the time. Haven't had any problems myself, but do know one of the other Travelfish writers booked a hotel somewhere in Sumatra and when she showed up the hotel had been demolished!

I wrote a post about booking with Agoda here, detailing possible savings etc -- may be of interest.

#4 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 19:48

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've used them many, many times in Thailand and never had a problem. The only instance I've heard of problems was when someone booked a guesthouse 20 minutes in advance. When they got there, the owner hadn't yet received the email and had already given the last room to a walk-in. But if booking in advance it should be no worries.

#5 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 21:50

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

Yup, have used them many times - in Asia and in Canada. Going on about 5 years now. Have never had an issue myself. I tend to book the rooms a few days in advance to avoid any last minute problems.

#6 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 22:19

• rlpangahas

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Thank you guys/girls. I really appreciate your replies. I was worrying if I'm gonna book a hotel via agoda because of that site reviews. Now I'm less worried about that. They have such great deals and cheaper than booking.com but they have $42-48 service fee as I remembered with my booking attempt. Lol. Thanks much to all! :)

#7 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 03:10

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I used Agoda App for my phone while I travelled around Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.. Generally booking a day before moving onto the next place and never had a problem. I also quite often extended my stay at a few hotels through Agoda as it was still cheaper than what the hotel offered,
    I recommend cross referencing the hotels with trip advisor just to make sure you get a good idea of what the hotel is like. But I cant fault any of the hotels i stayed in either.
    There customer service the once i used it was reasonable.. in short i ended up having to deal with the hotel direct but all money was repaid instantly.

#8 Posted: 27/11/2012 - 09:21

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Be aware that Agoda quotes prices ex-taxes and service fees. When you add those to the cost of the room, there's little difference between them and http://wwwbooking.com for example. The latter company quotes the room price including all service charges and tax which is a fairer way of doing business IMHO.

Also, these seemingly vast discounts are a sham. Agoda especially seems to invent ridiculous sums which they then 'discount' to appear as if you're getting a bargain when in fact, booking with the hotel's own site is often a lot cheaper. That at least has been my experience with them.

Booking.com only books the room for you. They don't charge your credit card like Agoda does at the time you book. That may have advantages and disadvantages since the exchange rate may go up or down in the meantime.

It's also worth checking this hotel booking comparison site as well to see if there are any cheaper options available: http://www.hotelscombined.com/

#9 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 02:55

• floriancornu

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013
    Location Singapore

I booked with Agoda several times and had no problem at all. They are part of Priceline, a $30bn listed company, not a small site that will close tomorrow :)

#10 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 07:27

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

No problems for me. Agoda and Booking.com are part of the Priceline empire. The difference is that with Agoda, you pay upfront. I used both within the past few months. I like the fact that Agoda is based in Bangkok. Just make sure you print the voucher and bring it to the hotel you booked.

#11 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 12:47

• RakiMan

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013
    Location Australia

There are the same crowd as who run Booking.Com

#12 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 14:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.