Travel technology forum

iphone or ipod touch?

• magdalena88

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2013

Hey Guys,
    So first off I'm completely out of the technological loop, and have yet to own a smart phone. Therefore, I'm wondering if it's even necessary for me to have an iphone or ipod touch on my trip? The closer I get to leaving for an extended amount of time in SEA the more I'm beginning to think one or the other could come in handy for apps, podcasts, and skyping. Money is a factor for me and I'm not too excited about shelling out over 600+ dollars for an unlocked iphone. Could I get away with taking an ipod touch? Pros and Cons of each would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 22:06

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

iphone - pros can buy cheap sim cards and make calls and use the internet cons - expensive
    ipod touch pros - cheap cons cannot make phone calls , only connect to the Webb through wi fi

it all depends how much you want to stay connected , if money is a factor just use the cheap internet shops that are all over se asia

if you really need a smart phone why not just go for an older model iphone , or a cheap android phone (like a 2nd hand Galaxy s2)

danny

#2 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 23:09

• magdalena88

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2013

Cool. I think I'm going to look into getting an older iphone. Thanks for the advice Danny.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 19:01

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 206

If you can live without a smart phone generally you can probably live without one whilst travelling! ;-)
    You email, Facebook message etc from a Touch so you may only need to consider a phone if you want to call a lot? As boxee said there are internet cafes everywhere for Skype calls.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 23:04

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I took a blackberry with me and planned on getting a cheap data plan for it. Once over I realized that nearly everywhere you go there is wifi available so I decided I didn't need the data plan.

After about a week into my trip I cracked the screen on the phone... I used it for another week but then it was getting too difficult to use.

I looked at phones and tablets etc over there and ended up buying a small tablet. It was fairly cheap($150) and did everything I needed. It was also nicer then trying to search things up on a small phone screen and it didn't take up much room either.

Long story short, unless you plan on using the phone as a phone and buying a plan for it in each country you go to or using the phone once you get back home I wouldn't bother with buying a phone. A little tablet or laptop is much more user friendly when searching for info and for answering emails etc. Wifi is available everywhere as are pay phones if you need to actually phone someone. If you can find a decent quality one before you go that is what I recommend, mine got the job done but wasn't great and anything of good quality actually costs more over there then what it does here.

#5 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 23:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
how to 'copy' on an ipod touch ... By christay2009 on 30 Aug 2009 4 18322 30 Aug 2009
Viewing PDFs on an iPod touch? ... By christay2009 on 12 Aug 2009 3 2843 12 Aug 2009
iPod Touch Apps without Wifi ... By Criggy on 27 Feb 2012 0 2124 27 Feb 2012
UK bought iPod touch wireless - work in Asia? ... By christay2009 on 16 Jun 2009 1 3530 16 Jun 2009