Boost your WiFi connection range!

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Having just done the rounds in Burma, I found several times that whilst hotels are now offering WiFi, it's sometimes only available in the lobby area. Or, if you're on the top floor of a tall, skinny hotel, the WiFi just doesn't quite reach the room.

I've been using a WiFi 'booster' with really good success. Essentially if I can't pick up a signal with my ultrabook, I plug this in and all of a sudden I've got a very good connection. Of course, your internet speed is only as good as their broadband connection in the first place - which isn't always very good in Burma! But in means I have the option to sit in the air-conditioned comfort of my room while working online.

This one I bought is here: http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

It's very small, light and easy to carry. I just slip it into the pocket of the neoprene case that I use for my laptop.

(No vested interest in this... just sharing the info! Also, I'm not overly techo when it comes to how it works, but there is loads of info on the review pages on the link above.)

#1 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 01:40

• Advertisement

• morgen

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2013

wireless devices as needed. A Wi-Fi signal amplifier (sometimes called "signal booster") attaches to a router, access point or Wi-Fi client at the place where the antenna connects. Bi-directional antennas amplify the wireless signal in both transmit and receive directions. These should be used as Wi-Fi transmissions are two-way radio communications.

#2 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 01:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.