Travel technology forum

Saving my hardrive.

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

A few months ago I managed to spill a full cup of coffee onto my laptop keyboard. I have since bought a new one. The old one will turn on but with a blank screen. Does anyone think the hardrive might still be good to salvage some information, pictures, etc from? I don't want to drag a boat anchor around for nothing.

#1 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 19:36

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes there is a good chance that the HD is fine. When my laptop crapped out while traveling a few years ago I removed the hard drive and tossed out the laptop. I bought a cheap case for it in Singapore for maybe $15 or so. I still use it as an external backup drive for non essential stuff.

That's assuming the liquid didn't get into the hard drive itself of course.

#2 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 23:27

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Thank you. I thought it might be so I guess I eventually some where to have it checked out.

#3 Posted: 14/12/2013 - 19:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.