Travel technology forum

Please advice with calling card provider

• MikeSanto

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2014

Hi all!
    Next month we are planning to visit Thailand with kids. Case in point is: I will requre a full-time access telephon connection, because one of my emploee's projects is on the run and my help could be needed any moment. Last year we had a similar problem when I was on a tourist trip to France, but than it was solved with calling cards, purchased here: http://www.comfi.com/calling-cards/France.
    Now, since our last trip is much longer and to Asia, not to Europe, I have doubts wether these calling cards would satisfy my needs. I don't want to end up with a huge telephone bill when I'm home. Does anybody used calling cards during their trips to Thailand\Asia? Is there some other ways to keep in constant contact without paying huge amounts of cash? Thanks in advance for any kind of suggests!

#1 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 02:49

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would get a local SIM card for your phone, then use Skype, Gmail video chat or similar for phone calls and video chats. You'll just have to encourage the people back home to use the same.

In my previous job where we often had to communicate with colleagues around the world Skype was a standard means of communication.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked before you go.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 14:15

• MikeSanto

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2014

Hi busylizzy! Thank you for advice. I was planning to use skype anyway, so I guess you've just readed my mind ))
    I'll share my experience here after I'll be back from my trip.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.