Travel technology forum

Laptop vs Tablet

• horsebox

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2014

Hey everyone, first post here, I'm planning a year+ trip to SE Asia and Australia at the moment, I'm not going until next January but it'll be my first time having a holiday of more than a week so I'm just trying to sort out some of the pre planning and pre costs at the moment. I'll be doing the usual hostel/backpacking type of traveling

One thing I'm looking at is whether to bring a laptop or tablet, I want to travel as light as possible so a tablet has obvious advantages in that sense as well as being more convenient for reading, watching movies and having longer battery life. The main problems with a tablet are lack of storage and more awkward typing, I'm not overly bothered about typing but storage will be an issue as well as the fact that tablets are more awkward for a lot of tasks

I think I'd prefer a laptop but I already have a good tablet, my laptop is too big so I'd have to buy a new lighter one and I could do without the expense.

Just looking for a few opinions based on experience whether a tablet is sufficient. I won't be writing a blog or anything but will hopefully have plenty of photos and videos to sort through

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/6/2014 - 03:31

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I think it's totally a matter of opinion and individual needs. I've never owned a tablet and I travel with an 11" Macbook Air, which I love, but the typing aspect is hugely important for me. If you're not going to be blogging or writing much, I suppose a tablet would be fine. If the extra storage is mainly for photos, I'd just bring extra memory cards and swap in a new one when they fill up. That's what I used to do before I traveled with any sort of computer... It costs a bit extra for the cards but you end up with "original" backups of all your photos once you do transfer them to a hard drive or CD or online storage. If you're worried about losing the cards, I suppose the online storage option could be done fairly easily with a tablet while you travel.

Unless money is no object, I'd advise to use restraint during the planning stage. It's tempting to buy all sorts of stuff -- computers, cameras, different lenses, headphones, iPods, guidebooks, money belts, different footwear, sleeping bags, tents and all sorts of other things that you think you'll "need" on the road. But once you're on the road, you'll probably find that a lot of those things just weigh you down and cause unnecessary worry. Also keep in mind that most anything you could want can be bought in SE Asia (though it is generally better/cheaper to buy electronics in Western countries).

#2 Posted: 17/6/2014 - 08:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have a Samsung Ultrabook which I love. It's very thin and light - but most importantly, it has a keyboard, and a hard drive (SSD) on which I can store/backup photos, music, movies for long flights and lonely nights, travel info/eguides, etc.

#3 Posted: 17/6/2014 - 16:32

• aleeza

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2014

I think you don't need to spend money to buy laptop as tablet is sufficient for taking photos and capturing videos.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2014 - 01:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.