Travel technology forum

Electricity Converters?

• urbal

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2007

What type of electricity/plug converters do I need in Thailand coming from the USA? I have seen a variety of products on Amazon and elsewhere and it looks like I will need a voltage converter from 220v (thai) to 220v (usa) and also a plug adapter. Can anyone recommend a good product and confirm that I will need both the converter and adapter....?

If it matters, I'll be charging Digital Cameras, a Nintendo DS, and that's about it. Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2008 - 01:49

• Advertisement

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

I've never had a problem charging any of my devices in Thailand. Most hotels/guest houses (and even cheap hostels) have the normal 220v (USA) plugs. I wouldn't worry too much about it or spend any money in the states buying an adapter.

However, if you're planning on leaving Thailand (say for Cambodia) I would recommend purchasing an adapter before you leave as it is more likely that you will need it.

Have fun!

~Eric

#2 Posted: 1/3/2008 - 01:44

• poodle

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

I'm almost certain if your gadget is less than 1500 watts all you MAY need is an adapter. Many places have sockets that take both flat and round. You can buy the adapters all over the place here, or you can go to the luggage dept. at Wal-Mart and buy a set of adapters(global) for 10 bucks; if you want the converter plus the adaters it's $20. I bought both. Since I have them I've been using them together; figure there is no reason to take a chance with my $850 lap-top, just to find out if i need them or not.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2008 - 14:29

• rewein

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008

for the converter vs. adapter question, it depends on the device. You need to look at the charger and it will say what the input should be. A camera charger, phone charger, laptop, etc. will have a small box on the power cord that will say what the input is, my Macbook cord says Input AC 100-240V, so you're good with just an adapter in that case. For me it's the same for my camera too, so if you don't need the converter, that's one less thing to weigh down your bag.

#4 Posted: 28/6/2008 - 08:55

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

In case someone wants some additional information:
    http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

#5 Posted: 21/8/2008 - 10:51

• Donaldmbs

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2009

Hi, I would suggest you visit LiteFuzeVoltageConverters.com as they offer several voltage converters that can be used in all countries. For Thailand you will need a 220 volts transformer and a Type A, C, or D plug adapter.

#6 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 13:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.