admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One of the great things about the web, is it brings together those who have the info and those that need it.

So here's a link to a blog entry by someone who really, absolutely, should definitely be already travelling rather than, well, comparing the read and write speeds of digital camera memory cards.

So if you're in the market for good, fast flash cards for your camera, the following is well worth a look.

Comparing camera memory card speeds

#1 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 18:43

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

SomTam

Every camera/card user will have a hard luck story about problem memory cards, 'lost' pics, etc.

As per the article you cite, I've moved over to Sandisk Ultra III cards. They are faster. But unless one is in low light or 'flash' situations few would know the difference.

I originally purchased a Sandisk Ultra III because I was going to a wedding and wanted to get pic storage quickly (without having to wait inordinate amounts of time between shots).

After using the Sandisk Ultra III, I also found less 'noise' on daytime picture quality. Hence I bought more.

As a word of warning to users. Even though many camera's nowadays can accept high gig cards (eg. 20gig + +), avoid these.

No memory card is perfect. Sometimes the card fails. Sometimes the card remains OK, but digital images are 'lost' (with the right software, most are recoverable).

And how often have you heard about someone having their camera lost or stolen "with all the photos of my trip". It happens!

Limit your cards to 2gig MAXIMUM. Take as many cards as you like, but don't take any more than 2gig.

This way, you can move to a new card if one fails, or copy the images to a CD and re-use later (etc).

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/5/2009 - 07:15

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

Rob Galbraith is the king of comparing memory card and memory card reader speeds:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

#3 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 10:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lost SD memory card Ko Phangan Haad Rin ... By tschef997 on 23 Aug 2013 0 821 23 Aug 2013