Travel technology forum

Mobile internet while travelling

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Can travellers recommend any mobile wifi enabled devices that I can access the internet while I travel? This would mainly be so I can access things like my internet banking facilities without using the potentially insecure terminals in internet cafes and the like.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Asus EEC Netbook but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

I assume that wifi connections will be relatively easy to find in the major tourist areas?

#1 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 16:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I just drag around the trusty laptop. WiFi in tourist areas no problem, and where you can't find it basic interenet cafes whould be able to sort you out with a network cable to bring you on to their LAN.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 09:08

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I have an Acer Aspire One mini laptop and LOVE IT for travel! They're about $400 US - 1.6 ghz processor, 120 gig hard drive, 1 gig of ram, webcam/mic built-in, and SSD card readers (what more digicams use).

#3 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 14:39

• cjt

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2009

I have just decided to take my Samsung netbook 10" 160 gig hard drive and 1 gig Ram travelling. Its a great netbook and I use it as my main computer when at home and travelling back and forth on coaches to London. Its got wifi, webcam and SD card slot to upload photos. It also comes with windows media player you can store and edit camcorder footage on. The battery life is in reality 5 and a half hours which is excellent. I thorougly recomend it although havnt as yet carried it round in a backpack for 2 months!

#4 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 22:56

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

My partner and I are travelling with two iPod Touches (and no, we can't share). It's fabulous. The "mail" app allows us to receive and send email, even when there is a very slow connection, and the facebook app is great too for keeping connected. I find travelfish very easy to navigate on the Touch and can even do most of my on-line banking. Some sites are difficult to use (I now hate people that have flash-only sites) and it's not optimal for writing long drawn out emails or blog posts. But given the size/weight, I think it's a great trade off for a laptop.

We have had trouble finding free wifi hotspots in a few remote-ish places (Tonsai, Ko Lanta) but almost every where else we can find a coffee shop or similar to use free wifi. A surprising number of our hotels/guesthouses have had free wifi. And where there is no free wifi there is usually a paid hotspot.

Daflj, one thing to keep in mind, is that if you are using a wifi connection (as opposed to a "hard" line through an ethernet cable) is that you are potentially exposed to having your data hacked. The risk is similar to that if you were using a computer at the same internet cafe. So if you are dragging around a laptop primarily because of security concerns, I don't think the laptop is going to provide much additional security. However, having said that, I think the risk is fairly minimal. You probably run a higher risk of having your ATM or credit card stolen/copied than of having someone poach your data and use that to access your bank account. To mimize your risk, it's probably safest to use wifi (to access on-line banking and other sensitive information at your hotel.

#5 Posted: 31/1/2009 - 10:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mobile / Internet ... By colourco on 21 Feb 2011 9 4320 29 Mar 2011
Mobile internet coverage in Indonesia ... By zicodali on 24 Jul 2011 16 7411 6 Aug 2011
Mobile internet and phones - what solutions are cheapest in SEAsia? ... By Solaris on 15 Sep 2008 1 3485 15 Sep 2008
Having internet access on your phone when travelling ... By thegreyblur on 6 Jul 2012 5 2851 3 Jul 2013