Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Sending Pictures Home

Posted by sublime_net on 9/9/2008 at 08:44

I'm planning a three month trip through southeast asia, and will be taking a ton of pictures along the way. I have a small portable hard drive to store most of the pictures on, but would like to send copies home as well in case something happens to the drive along the way. The best idea I've come up with so far is to buy a hand full of micro sd cards, which have become very inexpensive lately, and mail them home as well as off load them onto my hard drive when they fill up. I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this or any better suggestions, thanks.

#1 sublime_net has been a member since 9/9/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by idreamofdurian on 9/9/2008 at 20:35 TF writer

Other options I can think of would be to use online storage space or burn them to a DVD and mail them home. The plus about using blank DVDs is that isn't really easy to find one anywhere in Asia for $1 or less.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by boxee on 10/9/2008 at 01:15

if you sign up for a free hotmail email account you get 5gb worth of free online storage. the cool thing about this is that you can set up shared folders so that other people can see all of you pictures.

#3 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Tilapia on 12/9/2008 at 21:37

All of your ideas will work, as will the ones mentioned. Just pick the one you're most comfortable with.

You'll be able to find places that will burn your photos onto DVDs in most of the larger towns in most countries, especially in Thailand and Malaysia.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,490
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by krisited on 23/12/2009 at 09:05

I would prefer online storage and let your folks access them from home..wouldn't take too long compared to mailing a dvd or micro sd card..

#5 krisited has been a member since 23/11/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by Bevatron on 2/10/2010 at 05:03

There is a free online service called "dropbox" (google it). Just download it on your home computer, then access it online from internet cafes. Put the folder of pictures in and tada! Saved to your home computer.

#6 Bevatron has been a member since 9/5/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.