Travel technology forum

Sending Pictures Home

• sublime_net

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2008

I'm planning a three month trip through southeast asia, and will be taking a ton of pictures along the way. I have a small portable hard drive to store most of the pictures on, but would like to send copies home as well in case something happens to the drive along the way. The best idea I've come up with so far is to buy a hand full of micro sd cards, which have become very inexpensive lately, and mail them home as well as off load them onto my hard drive when they fill up. I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this or any better suggestions, thanks.

#1 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 08:44

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Other options I can think of would be to use online storage space or burn them to a DVD and mail them home. The plus about using blank DVDs is that isn't really easy to find one anywhere in Asia for $1 or less.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 20:35

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

if you sign up for a free hotmail email account you get 5gb worth of free online storage. the cool thing about this is that you can set up shared folders so that other people can see all of you pictures.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2008 - 01:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

All of your ideas will work, as will the ones mentioned. Just pick the one you're most comfortable with.

You'll be able to find places that will burn your photos onto DVDs in most of the larger towns in most countries, especially in Thailand and Malaysia.

#4 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 21:37

• krisited

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

I would prefer online storage and let your folks access them from home..wouldn't take too long compared to mailing a dvd or micro sd card..

#5 Posted: 23/12/2009 - 09:05

• Bevatron

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 4

There is a free online service called "dropbox" (google it). Just download it on your home computer, then access it online from internet cafes. Put the folder of pictures in and tada! Saved to your home computer.

#6 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sending home antimalarials ... By ajr81 on 18 Nov 2011 8 1151 18 Nov 2011
Q's about traveling w/ DSLR - bag + sending pics home ... By csawala on 24 Apr 2011 6 4374 23 Dec 2011