• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Has anyone ever tried to put one of the Travelfish guides, or any other PDF file, onto their iPod?

Somtam ... do you know if this is possible?

.txt files can be put onto iPods, but can PDF formatted files be converted without any loss?

Thanks.
    Mike

#1 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 21:34

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What a great idea! Hope Somtam knows the answer... would be much more convenient.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2008 - 23:18

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey SBE, iPods can be used for storing and reading text. Here's how ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2234?locale=en_CA

There are a few other pages and discussions about this.

Doesn't work with Nano, though.

I'm guessing that you can just save your PDF files as .txt files and then transfer them to the iPod. What I want to know is if I can skip that extra step.

I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

The only problem I see with this is that the monitor is a bit too small on most iPods. I'm thinking of picking up the new iPod Touch. It has a 3 1/2 inch screen. Plenty big. It will save me from having to print stuff off, carry books, etc. This time I'm looking to save as much space and weight as possible as I'm going to be biking and am only taking two panniers. The only book I want to take will be my diary.

Cheers
    Mike

#3 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 00:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mike,

I think you'd end up with a bit of a mess if you converted the PDFs into a text format -- gives me a headache just thinking about it...

Anyway, given it's Saturday morning and I should really be finishing the Phuket-Travelfish-Guide, this was a welcome distraction... Download the file below, unzip it and drag it into the "Notes" folder on your iPod -- it's a bit rough and ready, just a proof of concept, but certainly could be expanded... I think we could also add in pics, but not sure.

Anyways, take a look and let me know what you think.

File is here: iPod sample thingy.

Others welcome to download and try it out -- suggestions, comments welcome.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 07:20

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

All that looks rather too technical for me and I haven't actually got an ipod yet!

But the idea is great, much better than carrying books and sheafs of printout about. Hmm decisions decisions. I too travel as light as possible but I'm often miles from anywhere, no entertainment, often no fellow tourists either. I was thinking of taking an ultra portable laptop (with a DVD drive) with me on this trip to watch movies or learn local languages in the evenings when things are a bit dull, if it pours with rain for a few days or maybe even to pass the time during seemingly interminable bus/ferry journeys... takes days to get where I'm going and there will probably be a lot of hanging about waiting for transport connections too.

Practically zero theft risk with my laptop once I reach destination but there is a security risk while on the move for sure ... an ipod would be much better as it's far more discrete and less weight to lug around.

I see there are ipods with 160Go now, enough space for movies and language courses as well as text and music. The problem is the small screen size and ipods aren't that cheap either... same price as a decent camera with a 10x optical zoom here in Europe. Worth buying one do you think? Also is it possible to transfer movies and language DVDs easily from your own laptop or do you have to buy them from the apple ipod website? As I said I'm not an IT expert ...if it's highly technical then I probably won't be able to do it!

#5 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 15:40

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Somtam, I'll try it and will let you know what happens. Thanks for taking this to heart.

SBE ... if you are thinking of buying one, the new iPod Touch has a 3.5" screen with super resolution. I think that there is also a typewriter in it, or it may be an application that you can pick up.

The iPod Classic's screen is 2.5". About the size of the average digital camera's monitor.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 21:13

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Forget it! Seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Tried a few freeware PDF-to-.txt converters and they're pretty messy. Some didn't give a result at all, just a blank document.

Therefore, with the exception of my GPS and digital camera, I'm going to opt for low-tech adventure like I usually do.

Somtam, I see that the Laos Pack was just released a month ago. I'm probably going to be cycling from Vientiane down to the 4000 Island area in December and January. Do you expect to release any more info on these areas before then? I'm going to download the pack, but if there's going to be any add-ons, I'll hold off for a bit.

Thanks a lot.
    Mike

#7 Posted: 25/9/2008 - 17:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mike,

The Laos Pack Guides for southern Laos are fairly dated now, not that stuff in that part of the country has changed all that much... At this stage, I'm not sure if we'll have anyone in that part of the country before you go.

With the iPod stuff -- were you able to test the iPod thingy I put together? If so, pls let me know what you think as it wouldn't be too difficult to rebundle the Travelfish Guides into that format.

#8 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 07:37

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I haven't tried to put it onto the iPod yet, but I will.

Also, I noticed that the "iPod sample thingy" that you provided doesn't open in a PDF format. This made it very simple to put into a .txt format. All I did was Select All and then paste it into a Text Editor document, and then saved it as a .txt

Let me get back to you on this. Gimme a few days, okay?

Thanks for the news regarding S. Laos. I'll get it and then will pass on whatever info I pick up.

Cheers
    Mike

#9 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 05:46

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey SBE,

I tried putting part of a guide on my neighbour's computer onto his wife's iPod and it worked seamlessly. The text popped up on the iPod screen, and looked exactly as it did on the original document. Not sure about maps, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

We used a 2nd Generation Nano with a 1 1/2" monitor and we were able to read the text just fine.

Also, we found it quite easy to take PDF files and pop them into text documents. All you do is Select All when the PDF is open, then Copy, then paste it into the .txt document (from Text Edit in the Applications folder.) The PDF files we tried didn't come across formatted the way they were in the PDF files, but all the info was still there.

There you go. One less book to carry around. One more tree branch saved!

Cheers
    Mike

#10 Posted: 2/10/2008 - 06:47

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Excellent, thanks a lot Tilapia!

#11 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 13:12

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

UPDATE:

1) iPod Notes will store up to 1000 .txt files.
    2) PDF files can be converted into .txt with Adobe Reader (File > Save as text).
    3) *** iPod will only display the first 4000 characters, or about 4KB of each file.
    4) This means that each file will have to be divided up into a lot of smaller files.
    5) Maps and images are not converted, but the text is converted perfectly.

#12 Posted: 8/10/2008 - 23:38

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

if you have an iPod touch it's super easy to add PDF files - just email to yourself and save the message to a "documents" or similar sub folder on apple mail then it's there whenever you need. With the touch you can zoom in etc so I format the eFish as 4 column with very small text and it's fine. Other file types / images can be saved the same way, and you can save directly to the "photos" app as well. Cheers!

#13 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 08:16

• chewiee

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2008

You can probally get all of the above to work, but you may want to think about battery life and recharging.

The text files will use more memory(and battery), and you'll have to use the backlight to read the information (more battery). Plus ipods are quite sensative to temperature. Anything over 25C and the battery will not work as efficiently as it will back home.

Also i'm not sure how easy it is to find a plug socket to recharge your ipod on the road if your in rural areas.

#14 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 16:59

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

If you have an iPhone or the Touch there's a pretty good free app called Discover (iTunes search should bring it up) that will let you transfer PDF and Word files to your ipod via wireless. It also has a pretty good reader built-in, with bookmarks and everything. I've got my travelfish guides and some other random PDF's and Docs on there and it works quite well.

It will suck your batteries down faster though.

#15 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 06:25

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I found that it was just easier to carry around prints of the PDF files and then "recycle" them as I used them. Battery life was a huge issue.

#16 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 20:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.