Travel technology forum

Power adaptors

• Glhaskell

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2009

Does anyone know about voltage and power adaptors for thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia? Do i need an adaptor? Are they all the same. Let me know?

#1 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 03:44

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

The lonely planet website provides information on what type of voltage and plugs are used in each country, but to be honest, we very rarely needed a plug adapter - our US-type two prong plugs worked fine. Your stuff might need a voltage converter, but that's a different issue. Most new-ish electronics will work fine on both, but you should be sure.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 07:41

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I know this post is (now) old, but the issue is relevant at anytime.

The actual voltage needed by many products used by tourists isn't really an issue.

For example, most camera battery charger/ phone charger, or similar can work on both 240v and 110v. The only 'hassle' is that they need to be able to accommodate 240v (those from 240v nations don't have the problem).

A battery charger supplied to use 240v will accept 110v, but will just charge at a slower rate.

Some chargers have a little toggle switch to 'allow' for 240 or 110.

- - -

As for supply outlets, there is a widely sold 'adaptor' in SE Asia. You buy one with a female end to 'take' your plug, and it has multiple male ends for sockets throughout SE Asia.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 09:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.