Travel technology forum

GPRS/Edge connection available on a pre-paid sim in Thailand?

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

I have read the very useful TravelHappy article regarding getting set up for mobile internet but what it doesn't mention is if this is applicable to pre-paid (rather than post-paid) sim cards?

Does anyone know if it is relatively hassle-free to get a pre-paid sim that allows GPRS/Edge etc internet access?

Also if anyone has any tips about which is the best network to go for they would be gratefully received too!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 12:50

• Advertisement

• travelhappy

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hi Kirsty

yes, you can use GPRS/Edge in Thailand with pre-pay cards - it's what I always use.

As I mentioned in the article, DTAC currently have the best EDGE coverage and connectivity for mobile internet access.

I'll update the article to make it clearer re the pre-pay sim.

Cheers
    Chris

#2 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 13:06

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

Thanks for your reply Chris. This is a slight side-step from the original post but you seem to have a fair bit of experience on this. Of course suggestions from anyone are helpful.....

So mobile phone seems all sorted but I also need to get internet access from my laptop. I note that this can be done via a GPRS phone but if I wanted to do this independently of my phone some kind of cdma/data card/wireless aircard seems to be the solution?

Would someone like Dtac also provide these and set me up? Another concern is the speed - I know it won't be super-speedy but I do need a reasonable connection.

I can't rely on wifi hotspots unfortunately. I can't believe a country like Thailand doesn't have this kind of technology but I am really look for some reassurance that if I turn up I will be able to get connected quickly and relatively hassle free.

I keep searching the web but only seem to get half answers!

Thanks

#3 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 13:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.