Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

GPRS/Edge connection available on a pre-paid sim in Thailand?

Posted by KirstyB on 25/5/2009 at 12:50

I have read the very useful TravelHappy article regarding getting set up for mobile internet but what it doesn't mention is if this is applicable to pre-paid (rather than post-paid) sim cards?

Does anyone know if it is relatively hassle-free to get a pre-paid sim that allows GPRS/Edge etc internet access?

Also if anyone has any tips about which is the best network to go for they would be gratefully received too!

Thanks

#1 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by travelhappy on 25/5/2009 at 13:06

Hi Kirsty

yes, you can use GPRS/Edge in Thailand with pre-pay cards - it's what I always use.

As I mentioned in the article, DTAC currently have the best EDGE coverage and connectivity for mobile internet access.

I'll update the article to make it clearer re the pre-pay sim.

Cheers
Chris

#2 travelhappy has been a member since 24/9/2007. Posts: 14
 Website 

Posted by KirstyB on 29/5/2009 at 13:09

Thanks for your reply Chris. This is a slight side-step from the original post but you seem to have a fair bit of experience on this. Of course suggestions from anyone are helpful.....

So mobile phone seems all sorted but I also need to get internet access from my laptop. I note that this can be done via a GPRS phone but if I wanted to do this independently of my phone some kind of cdma/data card/wireless aircard seems to be the solution?

Would someone like Dtac also provide these and set me up? Another concern is the speed - I know it won't be super-speedy but I do need a reasonable connection.

I can't rely on wifi hotspots unfortunately. I can't believe a country like Thailand doesn't have this kind of technology but I am really look for some reassurance that if I turn up I will be able to get connected quickly and relatively hassle free.

I keep searching the web but only seem to get half answers!

Thanks

#3 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.