• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think I've decided where I'm going snorkelling next trip but there's no electricity on the island and the place I want to stay doesn't have a generator...oil lamps in the huts and solar power lights for the restaurant.

Charging camera/torch batteries is going to be a wee bit of a problem after a few days and I'd quite like to spend a few weeks there.

As paradise islands of the beaten trail can be a wee bit dull in the evenings, I was thinking of investing in a netbook+DVD or a small laptop too. It would be useful for storing pics and I could watch the odd film or maybe download some books. I MIGHT even write a travel journal, but don't hold your breath Somtam! ;-)

Have anyone tried a portable solar power charger thingy? How bulky are they and how much do they weigh? I want to try and keep my backpack as light as possible.

#1 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 19:38

• Advertisement

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the solar charger than you are looking for isn't cheap.

There are a few things you need to consider. Do you want something to recharge batteries, or actually power electronics? The latter, called a trickle charge, is more expensive.

In order to charge a laptop you will need a power source with at least 14w (for a standard netbook), and needs to be capable of a trickle charge. Something else you need to consider is that if you want to STORE power, you need another item also - a battery pack. These are readily available from many providers, but make sure its compatible with your panel.

This is the product I would recommend: http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=420 -- It folds up, uses a new and more efficient technology, is water resistant, has a 22w output in direct sunlight, and is capable of the trickle charge you need.

I would recommend using the same company for your battery pack. They really are producing the best product on the market right now, but realize you need a pretty large size for a laptop for a couple hours or a dvd player.

Neither of these products are cheap, and at their 600+ dollar price range I would not buy it from them. I found it at Sierra Solar for half that price when I got mine, and I'm sure they are available on Amazon for about half their list price.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 10:32

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

SBE

'Charging camera/torch batteries is going to be a wee bit of a problem " - that's another reason I use a Canon: it has AA batteries, and the Lithium ones last for ages...

If you've got a proprietary brand battery setup, go look at USB/SD plug charger/exchangers to a netbook/laptop. Also, I note in SE Asia, there are run-of-the-mill battery chargers for mobile phones, they may have same for your camera.

'I was thinking of investing in a netbook+DVD or a small laptop too- most new batteries have a reasonable capacity. And, you can also buy 'heavy duty' batteries with a heap of read time.

My hunch is that it may be more convenient to buy plenty of battery back-up and use this wisely than try and carry a surfboard sized solar panel able to meet your possible needs.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 13:10

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Oh, SBE, if the accommodation has solar powered lights, would they allow you to trickle feed your batteries during the day? Just a thought.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 13:11

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

I assumed that the solar lights were the sort of closed circuit things you get at the hardware store - and I dont think they would let you splice into that.

SBE - You can get a much more reasonably priced solar charger if you dont bring a netbook or dvd player. If you just want it to recharge batteries there are many products under 100 dollars that will fill a built in batter pack that you can plug a phone / mp3 player / camera battery charger into when you get back in the evening.

Hopefully you can find a place that you can put the panel without it getting stolen, because with cheaper units comes less efficiency energy transfer / storage and that equals longer charge times. You would want to be leaving it out on the roof or something while you were out diving.

Here is a good option: https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/solargorilla/ (this will work for laptops)

with its little(cheaper) brother here: https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkey-explorer/ (this will work for smaller devices)

#5 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 13:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks for your help Angfonz. Seems like the netbook isn't going to be an option then!

If I were an inventor I'd patent a netbook with a solar power panel on the lid! ;-)

#6 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 15:41

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Its still a relatively cheap and good idea to purchase one of the smaller units. They take a long time for a full charge, but its better than not having any photos.

The smaller one, linked above, takes a full 18 hours in the sun to complete a charge, though. You'll definitely need to be leaving it out while you're out doing stuff.

Brunton make a lot of good options - browse their website and find what suits your needs - and then order from Amazon or Sierra Solar for better prices. I hear that their rolling solar panels are particularly good.

#7 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 16:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.