Travel technology forum

Skype headsets in internet cafes

• Jleef

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Quick question - how common are headsets already provided in internet cafes across SE Asia? Will be using skype to phone home and just wondering if I should bring my own (albeit something else to drag around!) or hope the majority of internet access points I use have them already. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 03:22

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I found that many of the internet cafes I went into a few months ago had these available, as well as webcams. But considering how many people use the headsets, and the various degrees of hygiene observed, it would probably be a good idea to bring your own regardless.

Also, I found that if a place did not have Skype, they would download it just to get my business.

Cheers.

#2 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 00:23

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

I would recommend buying a webcam with a built-in microphone as the headphones can be a bit bulky. Should only cost you around 30 dollars for something decent. I have had good experiences with Logicool products.

#3 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 06:47

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

JLeef

You don't say which countries.

In the major towns where travellers go throughout Vietnam, Malaysia, and Thailand, nearly every 'cafe has some (at least one set).

Laos & Cambodia is OK in most of the major tourist towns, but not all. The problem is that net speed here is unreliable.

As you've probably read, I'm a light as possible traveller. Having said that, my wife has a frail 91 YO father. We take a mobile phone and talk. We buy a local sim card as call costs in SE Asia (except Cambodia) are REALLY REALLY cheap.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 08:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Skype in internet cafes? ... By jourdin on 27 Aug 2008 1 2815 28 Aug 2008
Mui Ne--Internet Cafes ... By hsoa on 6 May 2011 0 2835 6 May 2011
Internet cafes.....webcams? ... By theothervaletguy on 27 Dec 2010 0 2298 27 Dec 2010
Internet Cafes in HCMC ... By hsoa on 19 Apr 2011 4 4936 23 Apr 2011
Internet Cafes in Savannakhet Laos ... By kmeksavanh on 24 Sep 2009 4 3057 10 Oct 2009
hcmc airport facilities, shops, internet, cafes? ... By laallee on 29 May 2009 3 3003 3 Jun 2009