Travel technology forum

Enough WiFi bandwidth for mass flickr uploading?

• staverton

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from mid September for four weeks and am trying work out my best option for backing up photos on the move.

I'm a keen amateur photographer and have been known to take over 1,000 pics in a day whilst travelling (this is the very extreme of course, thanks to all the pretty shrines and temples in Kyoto last year). Realistically I expect to take anywhere between 0 and 300 pics a day. My main camera is 10MPx and so even the JPEGs are around 4MB each (I've given up taking RAWs when travelling).

So, given the volume of photos, the options I had for backing were either:

1 - Buy a load of SD cards and carry them around in something waterproof or maybe mailing them home (although I fancy my chances of getting them home myself better).

2 - Buy a netbook to offload the pictures from the SD cards I already have. Plus, I have a PacSafe and a notebook lock to secure these up in the guesthouse while I'm out for the day.

I think for the amount of photos I'll take, the netbook would be cheaper, plus it would be really useful for using the net on the move too. But the thing is, if it gets stolen I don't really care about the hardware, but loosing the pictures would be awful. So I thought to myself, I could always spring for a Flickr Pro account so I could upload as many photos as I wanted and easily back them all up. That said, I have no idea how much bandwidth the average free guesthouse WiFi has. I mean, if its like South Korea (and I don't expect it to be!), fantastic! However, if it's like Africa, then I may as well not bother.

Any other travelling techies or photographers care to weigh in on how plausible my plan might be?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 23:04

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good question -- in the bigger centres - esp in Thailand and Vietnam, I'd say no problems - go the Flickr route, but for laos in particular good high speed internet can be a little less common.

The advantage of using a netbook though is you won't have to sit in internet cafes for hours on end uploading pics when you could be out taking pics!

#2 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 05:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

staverton

Two issues here - storage & laptop.

Storage, I've chosen to use the higher resolution cards (sandisk Ultra 3) as the write speed is faster and I've had less 'losses'.

An alternative to getting 'hooked up' with technology is to back up your SD cards on removable USB storage 'Flash drive' cards. I know it sounds like more 'gear', but the wealth of pics versus a laptop may be the solution.

Also, the time to transfer the contents of an SD card to a USB flash drive may be a lot less (in many places) than trying to upload to Flickr.

On the laptop, there are many posts, some are for, others against. Look here and here and here for ideas for you.

So, in the end it comes to convenience and weight and what's best for you.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 07:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My plan for photo back-up is as follows:

- copy photos to my latpop (carried for purposes of backing up photos, writing emails/blogs without having to spend more time than necessary in internet cafes, and for managing financial accounts, etc of small business while I am away.)

- also copy photos to my iPod (Classic 160gb) - iPod will always be kept with me where practical, or at least separate from laptop. Will also be used for listening to language podcasts and music on long busrides.

- copy to DVD or CD and send home.

I am hoping that between all of these, I should be well protected against loss of photos.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 09:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.