Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Buying a camera in Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by Lawoat on 22/8/2009 at 19:51

hi All,

Does anyone have any information on

- Prices of photo cameras in HCM? (just normal digital camera +_ 8 megapixels); nothing too fancy

- Is there any danger in buying "fakes"...?

- Any recommended shops?

Thanks

Lawoat

#1 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Posted by BruceMoon on 23/8/2009 at 05:17

Lowoat

I can't comment about prices, but I'd be surprised if camera prices in Saigon were globally competitive.

Perhaps the larger problem is grey pricing. I wrote about this (and camera pricing in general) here at post #5. There, I was commenting specifically about one brand / model of camera.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2009 at 18:24 admin

I don't think buying a fake camera is going to happen, but the goods you are buying could well have fallen out of the back of a container if you know what I mean.

When I bought my last good camera, a Nikon D70, in Phnom Penh a few years ago, the price I paid was about $200 less than anything I could find online or in Bangkok -- The camera was the real deal, but i'm sure the only way they could sell it for what they did, was that some duties etc hadn't been paid.

perhaps you'll see similar deals in Saigon -- i've not shopped there for cameras, so can't help from personal experience.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Lawoat on 25/8/2009 at 01:07

As long as the camera isn't broken when it fell of the container I don't mind ;-)

#4 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.