Travel technology forum

Notebook on a 5 month Trip, would you?

• Missbonnie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

Hi im planning on going on a 5 month trip in the new year around SEA my question is would YOU take a notebook with you?

I am aware of how cheap public computers are however it would be nice to have your very own computer? Or would it become annoying to carry around?

Would you spend $700 on a netbook or would you put it towards your trip?

Please tell me your experiences!

Netbook im looking at: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/257838/review/go.html

#1 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 04:55

• Advertisement

• Missbonnie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

God im a n00b when i say Notebook, i ment NETbook lol sorry guys!

#2 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 04:59

• dagardiners

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Hi there - I'm no expert on the subject as we're about to leave on our trip mid-January but we bought a little Acer netbook for about $320 that we're taking with us. It sounded nice to be able to have a tool to upload and thereby backup pictures, keep a travel blog from the comfort of wherever we happened to be, and most importantly be able to skype at will with our kids and family back home. with the time change it will be helpful to not worry about finding an open and convenient internet cafe when it is a good time to say goodnight to the kiddos. That was our reasoning - and it's little enough to not really worry about lugging around! Good luck!

#3 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 06:38

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

I'm going to lug my macbook pro...
    moving to the UK via a 10 week trip around Asia so a necessary evil

#4 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 06:49

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Last time i was away (6 weeks) i took my macbook pro (bit of a heavy beast) and it was a hassle for me. I was working during the whole trip so it was a necessity to take it with me, i was house sitting for 3 weeks so security then was fine, but at all other times it was a bit of a worry as i only stayed at one place that could keep it safe while i wasn't there. My main concern was losing all my work so i backed everything up onto memory sticks and if i happened to have my room broken into then insurance would sort out the rest just inconvenient you know.

I only took it because i had to work, if you dont need it i wouldnt bother. Aside from any worrys of theft are the transport issues. If your mainly using it to do photos/internet etc just take the cable to conect camera to a pc and a usb memory stick and use internet cafes and ask if you can do it (every place ive used said it was fine).

#5 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 07:01

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

lots of netbooks in the $250 range on websites such as best buy, amazon, office depot, etc., etc...

#6 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 08:00

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I spent 2 years traveling around SE Asia lugging a 15.4" Dell notebook with me. It was a hassle and often a safety concern (ex. the carry-on sized backpack with the notebook in it never left my side), but it was probably worth it. I'd use it to back-up data, keep a travel journal, watch movies, etc. This was before Wi-Fi was everywhere in Asia so I still usually had to go to Internet cafes, so now it would be even more useful.

Now (Since Sept 2008) when I travel I take my 9" Acer Aspire One netbook. The battery life kinda sucks (< 2 hours), but otherwise it's fantastic. It weighs as much as a Lonely Planet guide and fits in my purse. The new Eee netbooks have much, much better battery life (~ 6 hours!!) and only run around $350 USD.

#7 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 11:11

• dagardiners

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

most notebooks now come with the option of upgrading the battery to a 6-cell (6hr life) battery, definitely worth the small amt of extra $. the acer i bought has a 6-cell.

#8 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 22:31

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

It's definitely worth buying something with decent specs and a reasonable battery life.
    Wifi is becoming available in more and more places (especially in Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines).
    In net cafes you have to worry about noisy gamers, cigarette smoke and viruses.
    I much prefer to go to McDonalds/KFC/Starbucks/Coffee Bean in Malaysia, Wawee Coffee in Thailand, or Starbucks/Bo's Coffee in the Philippines with my netbook.

#9 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 18:25

• gotthebug

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2010

No way, who needs it? Too heavy, too much of a worry. Carry disposable things only, you'll feel much freer. Yes, you want to blog - ideally, you'd have an iPhone, which pick up WiFi around Southeast Asia more often than you might think. Maybe if you don't have one you'll have to stop in to internet cafes, which is a verifiable drag - but also a great way to meet people if you're the charismatic type.

In any case, getting really immersed in your travel and what you're doing there is key. You shouldn't be pining over a piece of your life you left somewhere else. Travel is an opportunity like no other to really, truly live in the moment. It's an incredible thing that can be muted by too much connectivity.

#10 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 11:25

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

We took an Asus 901 eee netbook. Only weighs a kg and it worked well. It was especially useful for internet banking if away for longer periods, plus researching your next destination, booking flights with a credit card etc. Stuff you really wouldn't want to do in an internet cafe.

If you're only away for a short time, I probably wouldn't bother though. Internet cafes are everywhere and usually faster than the poor little netbook.

Finally, there's no way I'd spend a lot of money on a netbook - too many things could go wrong, loss, damage, theft - if you do take, take something relatively cheap.

#11 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 18:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.