Travel technology forum

URGENT-netbook vs iTouch

• meltravelst-
    heworld

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Hi There,

I'm heading to South East Asia on Monday for 4 months - visiting Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, and likely the Philipinnes. From the other posts, it sounds like wifi is fairly accessible in most places in these countries (only big cities or small ones too?) but, what about at the guesthouses/backpacker accomodations? I am debating taking an iTouch vs a netbook. While the iTouch is handy, my biggest concern is being able to face-to-face skype with my boyfriend (preferably directly from my room). But, if wifi isn't generally available in accomodations in South East Asia, then I'll take the iTouch (which only allows for voice skype, not face to face).

Please let me know your thoughts soon since I leave in less than 48 hours. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 10:40

• Advertisement

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey Mel,

I had the same dilemma when I was planning my 13-week trip to SE Asia--only in my case it was a girlfriend overseas who I wanted to keep in touch with.

In the end, I went in favor of the netbook. For me, the ability to backup pictures from my camera and post them online, download podcasts for long bus/train rides, skype with family/friends and even watch an episode or two of "Curb your Enthusiasm" won out over the portability of an iTouch.

As for WiFi access, it's ubiquitous here in Vietnam; if your GH doesn't provide it, a nearby cafe or hotel usually will have an unprotected signal you can latch onto. I'm actually writing this now from the comfort of my room in Dalat, at a guesthouse that doesn't offer wifi--the signal is from a minihotel just down the street. The situation's comparable in Thailand, especially in the larger cities.

In Laos, I had to take my computer to a dedicated internet cafe and plug it in, as wifi wasn't available except in (the fanciest) restaurants, and only then in tourist centers like Luang Prabang. In Cambodia, the situation was similar, but with slightly faster connection speeds overall.

This has all been in backpacker accommodations. Never spent any more than $8/night, except in Bangkok (and one night during the SEA Games in Vientiane).

Let me know if I can help to shed any more light on this.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 18:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Think Dylan hits on an important point here -- that with a netbook you get a lot of other "added bonuses" that you won't get with an iTouch (as much as I'd love to say take the iTouch and don't forget to buy our iPhone App!)

So if I had to choose between the two and would use the other features in the netbook, then I'd probably take a netbook.

Or, just pack both -- the iTouch doesn't take up much space!

#3 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 19:17

• dastott

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2009

I agree, take both. Moreover, if you are trying to connect to weaker wifi signals your netbook stands a much better chance of picking them up than the iTouch.

#4 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 22:06

• meltravelst-
    heworld

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Thank you all for replying so quickly! I really really appreciate it. I think I will take the netbook (and maybe also the iTouch) but I wanted to know how do you protect all your valuables, both in your room (especially if you're sharing) and more importantly, on buses, etc. I would have a netbook, ipod or iTouch, cell phone, and camera (I feel like a tech store:). I was planning to keep them in my daypack with locks on the zippers but I've still heard horror stories. Any tips?

Thanks! Melissa

#5 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 22:44

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Why do you need a iTouch AND an iPod? why not forget the iTouch as you have the netbook for that kinda stuff and just take the iPod?

At least then it would be one less thing to worry about.

Unfortunately, the only way i found of really protecting my valuables was taking them with me everywhere. You could invest in one of those pacsafe things, where you can securely fasen them to anything sturdy and they cannot be broken into. This would be extra weight and expense but perhaps would enable you to leave things behind (although not the netbook, i think the safes are pretty small).

I had a padlock on my day bag but only put it on if i was on a bus journey or in a busy market. I found it got pretty annoying having to put in the code everytime i wanted to get something out. I guess you could also argue that it advertises you have valuables in your bag?!

My next trip i think i'll not even bother bringing my iTouch. Yes its quite convienient sometimes to check email and stuff but, for me at least, i'd prefer to leave it at home and not worry about it being stolen or having to carry it around (i know its not exactly heavy!). I found an old iPod Mini the other day, might just take that if it still works then at least i won't be too bothered about leaving it in my bag unattended.

Hope that helps

#6 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 23:45

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

I too faced this dilemma. I opted for the netbook. I feel like i made the right decision, but I don't leave for BKK for another 8 days, so I guess we'll find out some time after that.

I really like the idea of having a place to back up photos, book guesthouses, etc. and this thing was cheap so if i lose it/it gets stolen/broken I won't shed too many tears.

I just occurred to me that I dont have a backpack that is really lockable, so I'm sure security will become an issue at some point, but for the momment we'll have to wait and see.

#7 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 12:36

• meltravelst-
    heworld

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

thanks for all of your replies! the final verdict is that i'm bringing the netbook and leaving the iTouch at home. i'm happy with my decision, especially for skype - so much better to keep in touch. Cary, have a great trip and I'll let you know if I have any issues!

Leaving tomorrow morning...

melissa

#8 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 12:43

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Good luck!!!

#9 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 12:48

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You'll be amazed where you can pick up wifi.... my most surprising one was at a guesthouse in the jungle near Mae Sot. The signal must have been coming from the owner's house nearby -- they certainly didn't advertise they had wifi though!

Anyway, the message is take the netbook. :)

#10 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 13:39

• Advertisement

• Sono

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

I am heading to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia myself in a few weeks and will be bringing my itouch, the netbook seems like too much hassle for me but I suppose it is whatever suits u better.

In other news how do I start a new thread? This is my first post and I cant seem to be able to find the option anywhere!

Thanks,
    Sono

#11 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 01:16

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I have had a very similar problem. I think I'm leaving the netbook at home though because its bigger, heavier and harder to look after. Also would a netbook not make you a bit anti social? just sat in your room messing about on the net all day or watching films at night rather than meeting people??

So I was thinking the iTouch which is good for just checking email and all the other aps or a Sony PSP...

#12 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 02:10

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Hmm--I'd say that the netbook only makes you antisocial if you let it. Take it out in a common area, and you'll probably have curious techie onlookers starting up conversations (at least I did).

Of course, if you're holed up in your room playing Freecell all day, then it's a problem. But that's exactly what I did when I came down with dengue fever in north vietnam...I was more than grateful to have some mild entertainment while I rested up.

#13 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 02:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I took my iPod Classic and a netbook. I didn't use the iPod nearly as much as I though I might, but found the netbook excellent for keeping in touch, researching and arranging travel and accommodation, keeping a blog updated and for backing up photos. I also stored my TF travel guides on it, although I do prefer to have them printed out to carry with me.

I also used the iPod to back up my photos. You may want to consider the iTouch for this, although I have no idea how big the hard drive on an iTouch is. (And it depends on how many photos you are likely to take).

It's amazing how technology has changed the way we travel!

#14 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 02:33

• Road_Warrior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2010

I think you should take both, if you can afford to. The other posts make lots of good points about the added utility and usefulness of the netbook. You'll probably find that the netbook gives you lots of flexibility and ways to overcome unexpected situations. However, I would take the iTouch, because it fills in gaps that the Netbook cannot. First, it will be more reliable, because it is a solid-state device that can be used in more difficult heat and humidity situations than the netbook. The instant-on feature will make it more convenient and handy for most simple uses - browsing, Skype, local maps, guidebooks, restaurant reviews, etc. The battery life is longer than a netbook and easy to prolong with portable solar panels, so you'll get a lot more utility out of it over time.

#15 Posted: 23/5/2010 - 21:48

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Netbook! Netbook! Netbook!

Happy travels :)

#16 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 09:04

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Just wanted to mention another thing in this thread because I don't think its been brought up...

On the subject of backing up photos, why not use something like Dropbox? You could pull photos off your camera in an internet cafe and upload them to dropbox? They would then be saved if you lost your camera, and you have the added benefit of sharing your dropbox folders with family/friends so that they can see your photos... They can pull the photos off onto a PC at home to keep your space free?

Just a thought?

-Chris

#17 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 10:07

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

On previous trips I have taken my SD card to a local shop and had my pics burned to a CD and shipped them home...

#18 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 20:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

URGENT !?!?! Jeez - I must be getting old, because this seems like a ridiculous urgent concern. Either 1) because you can find internet most places so it isn't a worry and 2) this would be a great opportunity to unplug from the grid for at least a few days at a time.

#19 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 02:45

• rengi091

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

I know the post is been very old already but I just wanted to give my opinions about these...

When it comes to travelling.. Netbook would be the best since its really portable..
    Netbook also have different applications and features that itouch doesnt..
    If video chatting is what you want to do then netbook would be great since the screen is way to bigger.. :)

#20 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 07:37

• Bartje83

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2012
    Location Netherlands

While travelling, the itouch was always my biggest friend. Netbooks may seem portable, but if you're lugging them around for months, they become quite the hassle. The itouch will fit in your pocket, is pretty sturdy and won't be such a great loss if it does damage.

#21 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 03:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.