Trip reports forum

Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and a bit of Thailand in 5 weeks

• sven365

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2010

Hi All

I am after a bit of help.

We have 6 weeks, and the last week of this we plan to spend diving in Ko tao and chilling on the beach in a resort.

So basically, we have 5 weeks..

We have specific flights, so we need to fly into either Hanoi, or Ho chi minh and depart from Bangkok.

Bearing this in mind, what would people recommend is the best way to get a trip in the time we have. what route would you take?

One option is to fly into Hanoi, then go anti clockwise down to Bangkok, as we want to go to Chang Mai and then fly into cambodia, missing out southern vietnam all together.

Or to fly into Ho Chi Minh, and go the other way, missing out northern vietnam.

Any advice by people that have done this trip is welcomed as we are stuck!

I know people will say, its for you to decide, but with the time we have, we realise we wont be able to do everything, so are thinking that maybe missing southern vietnam and going another time, when we have the time to do it may be better.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 22:20

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

People seem to fall into 2 camps when it comes to Vietnam. Those who prefer the north and those who prefer the south. Obviously, until you've been to them both you cannot know which camp you fall into.

I much preferred the north. Hanoi, for me, was much more interesting and beautiful than Saigon. There is Halong Bay, which is awesome; Sapa for some trekking; plus try to get as far south as Hoi An and Hue. For me that part of the country was far more beautiful and exotic than the south. The south is more about seeing how the country is expanding commercially.

From North Vietnam, travel over to Northern Laos, which was another great highlight for me. Its possible to get to Northern Thailand from there reasonably easily, though I was personally disappointed by Chiang Mai. Then down to Bangkok.

Or from Laos you could travel down to Cambodia before moving on to Ko Tao.

If you go 2 weeks for N Vietnam, 2 weeks for Laos, 1 week Cambodia - its just about doable. Any more than that & I would say you were rushing it.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 18:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By AdamZee on 17 Apr 2010 5 4496 10 Sep 2012
10 weeks for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia ... By mlr on 3 Aug 2009 26 8488 18 Feb 2011
6 Weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand ... By carzyyy on 13 Apr 2013 5 2366 14 Apr 2013
12 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By alssolotour on 10 Aug 2009 2 4203 11 Aug 2009
5 weeks - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia ... By Lewis2312 on 23 May 2014 46 2047 11 Jun 2014
6 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/ Thailand ... By HollyN on 9 Sep 2012 3 2922 11 Nov 2012
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam in 7 weeks ... By Dankpc on 19 Nov 2013 11 1297 27 Nov 2013
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in 4 weeks... ... By JourneymanTraveller on 4 Jul 2010 6 5239 27 Sep 2010
4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By babiguling on 13 Apr 2010 5 6681 4 May 2010
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. 5 weeks? ... By numberthree on 3 Apr 2011 3 3311 4 Apr 2011