Trip reports forum

singapore bangkok laos vietnam hongkong beijing shanghai then to cairns sydney then working holiday

• dbscuba

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2010

hi guys im new on here i have flights ready to book for the 29th of june 2011 to singapore im then wanting to travel up to bangkok by train/bus then on to laos through vietnam on to china, karst peaks, beijing, shanghai. as anyone ever done this by land. im not really wanting long stays in each place max 5 days just to see the best bits really i am wanting to know a realistic time and maybe cost to do this in as i have a flight to schedule from shanghai to cairns to start an holiday working visa
    thanks

#1 Posted: 7/10/2010 - 02:27

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

How much time do you have before your flight leaves for Cairns? and what are the places you want to visit.
    Did almost a same like trip with some extras around it.
    Thailand, Laos and Vietnam all depends on what you want to see. you can cross every country in 2 days if you want but of course you want to see some stuff. It's just a matter of finding it out when you are there and if you suddenly realise you got less time left, you move further to the places you should be(bus, train, plane).

For china: I'd suggest you get to Yangshuo after vietnam (if you don't want to go to Hong Kong), spend a few days there, check out the peaks and then take the train to Xi'An (actually I don't know if there are trains in Yangshuo, if not, go down a little bit to Guangzhou and take the train there). you'll be on the train the whole night and the next day until the evening. everything is sleeper and food is supplied if necessary. I went from Xi'an to Shanghai, then to Beijing (cause the trains to Beijing where booked for 2 days) So make sure if you go to Beijing from Xi'an to book your tickets on time at the train station.

From Beijing to Shanghai there's an high speed train going every night (takes about 8 h ), make sure to book on time as well to get a sleeper (you'll need it, I had a seat for the whole night and they didn't serve beers on this train at the time so it was fucked). Shanghai is expensive, more expensive as back home for me (Belgium). Do check out Barbarossa bar: nice atmosphere and relaxing (if you got some extra cash to spend).

#2 Posted: 7/10/2010 - 15:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train from Singapore>KL>Penang>Bangkok>NongKhai>Vientiane>Hanoi>China>HongKong ... By subo23 on 3 Apr 2014 4 437 3 Apr 2014
Video: HongKong-Philippines-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Thailand 2012 ... By maximaximaxim on 5 Apr 2012 1 3104 9 May 2012
2014 Taitung Eco-Working Holiday ... By teiawh on 13 Jun 2014 0 259 13 Jun 2014
getting a working holiday visa for australia - in SEasia ... By joe_leviente on 20 Jun 2011 2 2422 1 Aug 2011
Flight from Vietnam (Hanoi or Ho Chi Min) to Cairns ... By Taxicat on 7 Feb 2007 3 2606 19 Jan 2009