Trip reports forum

Trip from Ranong to Nong Khai

• danceswithr-
    ose

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2010
    Total reviews: 6

We took the bus from Ranong to Bangkok and picked up the overnight train to Nong Khai . The bus trip was great and certainly Australia and NZ companies could take a few tips on how to treat their customers well. 2 rest stops and one lunch stop. They serve towelettes and sugary cordials and a snack during the trip. (They might not be to your taste, but its the thought that counts!). The bus was really comfortable. It cost 350BHT to get from the bus station to the train station by taxi. Upstairs there is a good restaurant with reasonable food at the train station. Cheaper option is downstairs. The trains.... mmmmm don't count on getting much sleep even if you have booked a sleeper. Go the highest price if you want your own cabin, otherwise you get to sleep in a sleeper carriage that looks something like Alcatraz complete with the grumpy jailor!! he he. I do not recommend the food on the train - its highly overpriced and disgusting (to put it nicely)! There was also no water in the toilets or basins the whole time.

Nong Khai - a tuk tuk should cost you 30BHT each to town, don't pay any more as some of them will try in on. We stayed at Mut Mee Guesthouse, good reasonable accommodation, good food and its restaurant is in amongst some lovely old trees. Mozzies are a little bit of an issue, but for 280BHT a night, its not too much of a big deal. Lots of restaurants around town, the people are really friendly and helpful, no touting like down south. Lots of Wats here old and new, plenty of markets and a big western style supermarket if you need.

The concrete statue park is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen and even if you are just going through Nong Khai to go to Laos this should not be missed. There is a park in Laos (built by the same guy), but the one in Nong Khai is much bigger (in height) and area. Can't understand why this isn't a wonder of the world.... its amazing. The locals love to exercise in the evenings and you can join them on the esplanade or outside various Wats.

The biggest difference I found between the south of Thailand and the North of Thailand, is that the Thai's in the south just see you as a walking $ sign, up north they don't (Chang Mai, I hear is the exception tho).

So visiting towns like Chang Rai, Nong Khai and the like you get a much more Thai experience (if that's what you are looking for). The only town in the south we experienced a more Thai experience was Ranong. Most people just travel through this town, but we had some amazing experiences there also. One of them being a soccer game at a local school where 500 children split into 5 groups of chanters, dancers and drummers were each trying to be the best (and louddest) cheer leaders of the day - the soccer game was sort of secondary!! It was an amazing thing to see and the school children seemed to be quite chuffed that we were watching.
    Le Sarin Chalets in Ranong is highly recommended for a place to stay.!

#1 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:55

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

well, good explanation for newbies to check out actually. loved the one from Nong Khai as I've lived there for a while and still going back every year. Mut Mee is a good guesthouse but there are other places outside of town as well, just need to find them which are really nice!

tuk tuk 30 baht is indeed cheap but if you know what the locals pay and you speak thai you can even get it down to 20 baht, no offence.

I'm glad you liked Nong Khai as for me it's my second home :). you might want to post this as a review on the Nong Khai page on the site here, I think I've written something as well.

good post! if you got more, keep em coming

#2 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 22:14

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Saving 10 baht on a tuk tuk is hardly worth worrying about or bragging about. That's just kii niaw. Tuk Tuk drivers will always try to get more if you look farang but I wouldnt be worrying about a miserable 10 baht.

"The biggest difference I found between the south of Thailand and the North of Thailand, is that the Thai's in the south just see you as a walking $ sign, up north they don't (Chang Mai, I hear is the exception tho)."

South has non touristy areas where they dont see you as a walking atm too.

Not sure about a great bus trip, never had one of them.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 06:38

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

How much the total cost of your trip?

#4 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 15:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Nong Khai - July 2006 Trip Report ... By exacto on 8 Sep 2006 4 4990 23 Nov 2006
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3856 19 Feb 2010
Getting to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai ... By mic59 on 18 Sep 2008 8 14207 6 Jul 2010
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 1993 6 Apr 2013
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3572 1 Oct 2009
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Oct 2007 1 4069 23 Oct 2007
Nong Khai and Surrounds ... By morroco on 1 Mar 2013 2 1469 2 Mar 2013
Nong Khai to Phimai: how to get there ... By reenakukreja on 31 Jul 2007 5 4233 17 Aug 2007
Nong Khai to Sukhothai ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 0 4200 28 Dec 2010
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6247 23 Jul 2008