Trip reports forum

Thailand Trip Report

• themissadve-
    nturejournals

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

I am currently exploring Thailand and heading to Cambodia next week. After a hectic week in Bangkok, I am enjoying the beaches of the laid back Koh Phangan

I am keeping a blog of all my travel reports here:

http://themissadventurejournals.com/

You can also read about my year spent working in Japan, as well as my time working in Walt Disney World.

#1 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I can't believe you had surly or rude wait staff at a restaraunt here. That has NEVER happened to me, and I've lived here three and a half years.

#2 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 18:02

• themissadve-
    nturejournals

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

Madmac- Maybe I have just been very unlucky!

#3 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 18:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Very indeed.

#4 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 23:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

MM must be sarcastic. Service levels in Thailand are often poor.

#5 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 05:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey MADMAC,

I'm not surprised that you've never had bad service at a local Mukdahan restaurant or even in Bangkok. Of course, as a Thai-speaking westerner and an overall good guy, you definitely help create your own positive atmosphere. I wouldn't say service is generally poor in Thailand - particularly when you consider the cost of the meal compared to what you'd pay back home. But I have noticed that in the more popular tourist locations, and particularly the types of restaurants where people are likely to only ever visit one time, that service can be less than friendly.

I know you aren't a big beach guy, but that's where the service tends to be the worst. It isn't just being on island time either. It is often just like Miss Adventure describes - surly. I can only guess that it has to do with very low wages and no incentive to do a better job or be nicer. But it does seem a shame that otherwise very friendly Thai people seem to get very jaded when they work at the beach resort.

Maybe that is why I like travelling in the Isan so much. The folks are friendly for sure, but there is also a better chance that the person serving you has some direct connection to the restaurant or shop or noodle cart or whatever. When I'm at the beach, I like to find the small locally-owned restaurants on the non-beach side of the road - the ones frequented by Thais more than western tourists. The food is better, the prices lower, and the service generally friendlier.

Anyway, not that you asked, and I know this was a really old post, but I definitely think that in general anyone will feel more welcome in Muk and other Isan towns than most Thai islands, at least in terms of service.

#6 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 13:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

It's not so much surly but lazy service. For instance checking on drinks, extra meals. But I find that's a worldwide thing more and more. The Y gen just couldn't be bothered. They drive cars looking at their stupid phone and spend all day updating their facebook profile so who cares about doing their job properly. Oh well, no tip from me and no going back. Boss losers out. They should train staff properly.

#7 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 11:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I always get good, attentive service. I MUCH prefer it to service back in the states, where wait staff are often so busy they can't afford to be overly attentive.

#8 Posted: 22/2/2014 - 00:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Issan people tend to be more friendly.

#9 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 16:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First trip to Thailand report ... By Geezy on 26 Aug 2009 5 3737 31 Aug 2009
Thailand with baby - trip report ... By mikefly on 16 Feb 2014 2 427 16 Feb 2014
Laos/Thailand Trip Report and Thanks ... By hannahcurtis75 on 6 Apr 2010 3 2750 15 Apr 2010
Laos and Northeast Thailand trip report oct-nov 2006 ... By babytraveler on 15 Nov 2006 3 3175 17 Nov 2006
Lake Safari from Bangkok, a new and unique experience in Thailand. Trip report ... By jonasnilsson888 on 1 Dec 2009 1 3500 1 Dec 2009
3 Months Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & Loas Trip Report ... By miranda456 on 17 Apr 2007 15 13036 23 Sep 2010