Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Thailand Trip Report

Posted by themissadventurejournals on 27/1/2011 at 13:31

I am currently exploring Thailand and heading to Cambodia next week. After a hectic week in Bangkok, I am enjoying the beaches of the laid back Koh Phangan

I am keeping a blog of all my travel reports here:

http://themissadventurejournals.com/

You can also read about my year spent working in Japan, as well as my time working in Walt Disney World.

#1 themissadventurejournals has been a member since 27/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 27/1/2011 at 18:02

I can't believe you had surly or rude wait staff at a restaraunt here. That has NEVER happened to me, and I've lived here three and a half years.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by themissadventurejournals on 27/1/2011 at 18:38

Madmac- Maybe I have just been very unlucky!

#3 themissadventurejournals has been a member since 27/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 27/1/2011 at 23:20

Very indeed.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/2/2013 at 05:38

MM must be sarcastic. Service levels in Thailand are often poor.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by exacto on 18/2/2013 at 13:12

Hey MADMAC,

I'm not surprised that you've never had bad service at a local Mukdahan restaurant or even in Bangkok. Of course, as a Thai-speaking westerner and an overall good guy, you definitely help create your own positive atmosphere. I wouldn't say service is generally poor in Thailand - particularly when you consider the cost of the meal compared to what you'd pay back home. But I have noticed that in the more popular tourist locations, and particularly the types of restaurants where people are likely to only ever visit one time, that service can be less than friendly.

I know you aren't a big beach guy, but that's where the service tends to be the worst. It isn't just being on island time either. It is often just like Miss Adventure describes - surly. I can only guess that it has to do with very low wages and no incentive to do a better job or be nicer. But it does seem a shame that otherwise very friendly Thai people seem to get very jaded when they work at the beach resort.

Maybe that is why I like travelling in the Isan so much. The folks are friendly for sure, but there is also a better chance that the person serving you has some direct connection to the restaurant or shop or noodle cart or whatever. When I'm at the beach, I like to find the small locally-owned restaurants on the non-beach side of the road - the ones frequented by Thais more than western tourists. The food is better, the prices lower, and the service generally friendlier.

Anyway, not that you asked, and I know this was a really old post, but I definitely think that in general anyone will feel more welcome in Muk and other Isan towns than most Thai islands, at least in terms of service.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 22/2/2013 at 11:23

It's not so much surly but lazy service. For instance checking on drinks, extra meals. But I find that's a worldwide thing more and more. The Y gen just couldn't be bothered. They drive cars looking at their stupid phone and spend all day updating their facebook profile so who cares about doing their job properly. Oh well, no tip from me and no going back. Boss losers out. They should train staff properly.

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MADMAC on 22/2/2014 at 00:37

I always get good, attentive service. I MUCH prefer it to service back in the states, where wait staff are often so busy they can't afford to be overly attentive.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 24/2/2014 at 16:58

Issan people tend to be more friendly.

#9 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.