Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Staying fit and in shape after thailand/southeast asia?

Posted by lola899 on 1/6/2011 at 03:05

Been in southeast asia for last 3 months and came back 10 pounds lighter, been trying to eat the same 'healthy' food back here, but after 2 weeks i have already put on a couple of pounds... what gives? How can i maintain my original 'arrival' weight? similar experiences?

#1 lola899 has been a member since 7/9/2010. Posts: 36

Posted by Thomas922 on 1/6/2011 at 09:52

I moved to Japan and gained lots of weight. The popular cuisine is not everyday fare. People eat tons of high calorie foods like ramen and tons of rice but much smaller portions than me! Living somewhere is different than being a tourist. You were on the move a lot right? Doing all kinds of fun stuff. Burning calories and sweating off excess fluids. Back home you may be less active. The biggest thing in my case was how much processed food we eat. I cut that out. Cereals and excess dairy (humans don't need at all) and sodium (in all processed foods) led to me gaining what I worked hard at taking off during my last trips. Now it is back on the down from eating more fresh foods and lean proteins. And forcing myself to move more.

#2 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Posted by samuijimmy on 9/6/2011 at 22:16

I have lived in Thailand now for nearly four years and lost nearly 30 lbs! Perhaps it's the heat sweating the fat off, although I do keep active!

I think a combination of generally one does not eat as much it hot climate & perhaps drink more water...

My diet tends to switch from Thai food, to having those "western moments" of western food... and not drinking too much beer or eating as much "junk food" !

#3 samuijimmy has been a member since 9/6/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 8

Posted by svendj on 10/6/2011 at 02:48

I lose weight every year, and had the same problems the first time I came back. now I just start cooking my own asian food once and a while and it keeps me a little bit more fit than before, just enough for when I go back again. If you really don't want to gain anything :) just leave again...

#4 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by rylanmede on 10/12/2012 at 09:30

The opposite thing happened to me when I was studying in Poland; I actually gained weight for the 6 months I had been there. I was so busy going here and there so I guess exercising too much for me increases my appetite.
My point, it is not usually what you eat that will make you gain weight instead it is what you do because what you do will affect your cravings for food. Of course in the US you don’t have healthier options as you got in Southeast Asia.
BTW which country was it?

#5 rylanmede has been a member since 10/12/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 11/12/2012 at 11:19

I gained about seven pounds when I moved here (Thailand) 5 years ago and it's just stayed there. I am now (starting three months ago) studying Tae Kwon Doe - I need to work out to lose the weight and get myself back in decent shape.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.