Trip reports forum

Staying fit and in shape after thailand/southeast asia?

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Been in southeast asia for last 3 months and came back 10 pounds lighter, been trying to eat the same 'healthy' food back here, but after 2 weeks i have already put on a couple of pounds... what gives? How can i maintain my original 'arrival' weight? similar experiences?

#1 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 03:05

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I moved to Japan and gained lots of weight. The popular cuisine is not everyday fare. People eat tons of high calorie foods like ramen and tons of rice but much smaller portions than me! Living somewhere is different than being a tourist. You were on the move a lot right? Doing all kinds of fun stuff. Burning calories and sweating off excess fluids. Back home you may be less active. The biggest thing in my case was how much processed food we eat. I cut that out. Cereals and excess dairy (humans don't need at all) and sodium (in all processed foods) led to me gaining what I worked hard at taking off during my last trips. Now it is back on the down from eating more fresh foods and lean proteins. And forcing myself to move more.

#2 Posted: 1/6/2011 - 09:52

• samuijimmy

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Location Canada

I have lived in Thailand now for nearly four years and lost nearly 30 lbs! Perhaps it's the heat sweating the fat off, although I do keep active!

I think a combination of generally one does not eat as much it hot climate & perhaps drink more water...

My diet tends to switch from Thai food, to having those "western moments" of western food... and not drinking too much beer or eating as much "junk food" !

#3 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 22:16

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I lose weight every year, and had the same problems the first time I came back. now I just start cooking my own asian food once and a while and it keeps me a little bit more fit than before, just enough for when I go back again. If you really don't want to gain anything :) just leave again...

#4 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 02:48

• rylanmede

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

The opposite thing happened to me when I was studying in Poland; I actually gained weight for the 6 months I had been there. I was so busy going here and there so I guess exercising too much for me increases my appetite.
    My point, it is not usually what you eat that will make you gain weight instead it is what you do because what you do will affect your cravings for food. Of course in the US you don’t have healthier options as you got in Southeast Asia.
    BTW which country was it?

#5 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 09:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I gained about seven pounds when I moved here (Thailand) 5 years ago and it's just stayed there. I am now (starting three months ago) studying Tae Kwon Doe - I need to work out to lose the weight and get myself back in decent shape.

#6 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 11:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Why Thailand is Still the Best Southeast Asia Destination ... By exacto on 19 Jul 2014 13 796 24 Jul 2014
SIM card for Thailand and Southeast Asia? ... By TheNewGuy8 on 28 Sep 2010 12 19761 19 Feb 2012
volunteering in southeast asia/thailand? ... By hobo on 1 May 2013 2 1981 22 May 2013
First Time to Southeast Asia: Thailand and Laos or just Thailand? ... By jcro on 6 Dec 2013 7 992 20 Dec 2013
SouthEast Asia : Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam Tour Suggestions ... By jexplore on 10 Mar 2013 9 4292 14 Nov 2013
staying in a monastery in SE Asia :) ... By soQQuadro on 3 Aug 2009 4 3620 11 Aug 2009