Trip reports forum

Is it realistic to go to so many countris in 2 monthes?

• dinnasand

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2011

Me and my friend are going to travel in Asia for 2 monthes - in july and august. There are so many countries we want to visit/see, but we dont know if it is realistic and stupid: We want to go to Thailland, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Borneo and the Philippines.

Do you think it will be to much travel?
    Is there any of the mentioned countries you think we should delete from our list?

Any inpunts would be great!

Thank you [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#1 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 16:45

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Too much? Yes, absolutely.

What to cut out? It's kind of pointless asking us this without offering any information about you or your travel interests. What are you wanting out of your trip? Trekking? Beaches? Moon parties? Culture, temples and people? Village visits? Moon parties and drunken tubing? Do you want to keep to the main tourist areas or want to venture off the beaten track?

If it were me, I would say cut out Borneo and Philippines, just for logistical reasons alone. The other four are possibly manageable in a 2 month period, but I'd still suggest cutting it down to two-three countries max. Aim to spend quality time in the places that you are visiting, not quantity (unless you are competing in The Amazing Race or want to get as many stamps in your passport as you can).

With the caveat that I don't know anything about your travel interests, and assuming that this is your first time in Asia, I would probably suggest Thailand, Northern Laos and Cambodia at the most. Save Vietnam for another trip. That should give you exposure to 3 countries and a range of activities.

Also - don't forget that these countries are probably bigger that you realise, and travel can be slow. Each time you plan on moving to another destination, you more or less lose a day. Multiple that out by each destination. Also, the more you move, the more it costs - keep that in mind if budget is a concern.

Spend more time reading up on the countries of interest, and write down what interests you the most. Check out the Suggested Itineraries (http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/) on this site for some ideas on how to put it all together. At the bottom of each itinerary is a chart that shows travel time between destinations which is helpful when planning.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 17:37

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree with busylizzy...

#3 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 17:51

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

what lizzy said

#4 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 21:39

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

what lizzy said

#5 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 21:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If it were me I would cut it to one country. But as Liz said, can't give sound advice unless your desires are clear.

#6 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 07:53

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Lizzy is right on with this one. However, to give some credence to the idea of a sampler package I'd say you can get a taste of the four mainland countries mentioned in 2 months, but you'll have to plan for a limited time in Laos and Cambodia, mostly just passing through between Thailand and Vietnam and stopping at one or two spots. Something like 3 weeks in Thailand, a week going through Northern Laos, 3 weeks in Vietnam and a week passing through Cambodia to get back to BKK.

I'd also check the climate reports - It should be pretty wet in Northern Thailand and Laos in August - so I'd guess you'd want to go through there first in early July. Though Cambodia and Vietnam will be pretty wet in July and August as well. Vietnam shouldn't be too rainy at that time.

#7 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 17:30

• dinnasand

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2011

Thank you for all your answears. I kind of knew that it was too much countries but it is just so hard to choose. I think we maybe will go for: Thailand, Cambodia, Borneo and maybe the Southern Vietnam. We want to travel as backpackers (of course) and we want to experience a lot of difference things. We want to:
    - Lay on the beach and live in bungalows.
    - Party with other backpackers (fullmoonparties ex)
    - Trekking in the mountains/jungel and live there for a couple of days (with a group and a guide)
    - Meet the local people and try to live their way. (Do you know where it is possible to make a village-visit in Thailand, Cambodia, Borneo or Southern Vietnam?)
    - Go to tea plantage, ricefields, drive in a tuk-tuk and experience the culture like real tourist.
    - Go sigthseeing and se breath-taking places.
    - Diving, swim with dolphins, ride an elephant though a jungle ect.
    - Shopping in local markets
    - We dont know if it is possible but we would also like to do some volunter work for a week. We have thought about the Orangotanges in Borneo. Do you know any places? If that is not possible maybe at a local school.

About the weather I know we have choosen two bad months. But is it that bad with the rain? Isn't it just for a couple of hours or maybe a day it is raining constantly and then the good weahter is back? Or not?

Do you have some suggestion to our trip from what I told you? Where we schould go or what we schould experience?

Thank you for all your respons!

#8 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 10:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I wouldn't worry about seeing ricefields. You can't miss them here. Even if you just drove from Bangkok to Pattaya you would see at least some ricefields.

"Party with other backpackers". You can do this in Bangkok on Khao San Road or go to the actual full moon party. But I am curious as to why you would want to do this? You can do that at home. Why not party with locals? That you can't do at home.

"Meet the local people and try to live their way."

Given your time constraints, desire to travel a lot, and language barriers this isn't realistic. And you would also probably not enjoy it if you were really living their way. Most people who do the homestay thing are staying in places modified for comfort.

"Shopping in local markets" This one is easy. There are markets in every town here. Your typical open air variety in Thailand is in every Ampur. No worries there. You won't have to look hard. BUT, if you don't speak the local language, communicating will be a challenge (but not impossible as long as you stick to "how much"?).

Have a good time. I'd slow down, WAY Down, if I were you. That's the whole point of being here. But up to you.

#9 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 05:46

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

It is so easy to try and visit ALL the countries that you are close to, but remember these experience will be rushed. This is only my oppinion, but i really think its better to relax, visit one or two countries and feel them, experience them for what they are and appreciate the local people and culture. If your travels are rushed form country to country and city to city then this will get losts. Remember, you can always come back to Asia and visit the other countries you missed out the first time around.

Happy travels, and happy holidays

#10 Posted: 24/12/2011 - 23:11

• Advertisement

• amandajocky

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I also agree with busylizzy, for these countries you will visit, each one with its own beauty and distinctive, any way you are in travel so you will find it interest easily, good luck !

#11 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 19:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.