Trip reports forum

Itineray help - 6 weeks Thailand/Cambodia with 2 children

• Japtha

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 2 children aged 3 and 8 years. In a month we travel to Thailand and Cambodia for 6 weeks and the itinerary is roughly made.

However, we are uncertain whether our itinerary is too extensive.

So far, the itinerary is as follows:

Bangkok 3 nights
    Bus / boat to Koh Chang 6 nights
    Bus to Cambodia - 2 nights in either Sihanoukville or Kep / Kampot
    Bus to Phnom Pehn 3 nights
    Bus to Battambang 2 nights
    Boat to Siem Reap 5 nights
    Bus / train to Bangkok 1 night
    Overnight train to Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai 5 nights
    Flight to Hat Yai and onwards to Koh Lipe 4 nights
    Boat to Koh Lanta 8 nights
    Phuket 2 nights (in order to get close to Phuket airport before our homebound flight)

Is Sianoukville worth visiting - and what about Kep and Kampot?

We are happy to receive feedback and advice for a possibly better planning. Since we do not like to rush things, we are considering skipping Chiang Mai. Or skip Koh Chang and instead concentrate on Koh Lanta and the islands south of Koh Lanta.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

#1 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 17:41

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Looks ok.

Definitely go to Kep and Kampot and try to spend more than two nights there, perhaps at the expense of Battambang. That way you could also go direct from PP to Siem Reap, thereby saving some travel time.

If it's a straight choice between Kep and Kampot or Sihanoukville, I would go for the former, particularly given that you have other beach options planned in Thailand. Kep and Kampot are both very cultural, interesting places with great food options and Kampot is a very nice relaxed place to chill with a beer by the river as the sun sets.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 09:50

• Japtha

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Thanks a lot for the feedback, chinarocks.
    We will definitely consider a stop in Kep and/or Kampot. In which of the towns would you recommend us to stay if we want to overnight only in one of the places. And can you recommend a nice affordable bungalow resort or guesthouse ?

#3 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 05:01

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I can only really tell you how I did it and see if you think this would fit your bill.

I stayed in Kampot for the entire time I was in the region. I hired a moped and travelled around the province, notably over to Kep each day for a fresh seafood lunch, then returning to Kampot in the evening for $2 jugs of Angkor by the river.

I'm guessing with two young kids hiring a motorbike mightn't be possible. In that case I'm sure you could hire a tuk-tuk driver (maybe around $15 per day) to take you around to see the sights - caves, pepper plantations etc.

I stayed in the Bodhi Villa guesthouse just outside Kampot town. It is run by an Aussie guy. It is an excellent spot, cheap, good entertainment at night, great food onsite and doesn't seem to attract the less desirable backpacker types. Again, I'm not sure if with the kids you are looking for something a bit more upmarket - this place was only $10 for a double room and, to be fair, had only sporadic hot water.

Potentially Kep may suit you better as it is smaller, has a beach (albeit not very good), has the excellent lunch options and, I believe, has a lot of premium style accomodation.

In any event, wherever you base yourself, make sure to travel around the province as well as relaxing in Kampot and Kep towns.

Feel free to ask anything else, specific or general!!

#4 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 05:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help With Travel Itineray- Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By azfreed5 on 22 Oct 2007 0 1510 22 Oct 2007
Cambodia itineray advise ... By heytoki on 20 Mar 2014 6 1267 22 Mar 2014
3 week Vietnam\ cambodia itineray?? help ... By seaolon1 on 29 Jul 2010 2 1394 30 Jul 2010
Southern Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia itineray - Have you done it??? ... By avyanakos on 27 Jun 2008 3 2214 1 Jul 2008
help with itineray viet/sapa/laos/cambodia ... By kerrellsaines on 18 May 2008 0 3188 18 May 2008