Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Help itinerary Thai/Laos/Viet in 4-5wks possible?

Posted by helmo645 on 16/2/2012 at 01:27

Hi everyone,
Me and my girlfriend (19 and 18) are planning a trip from Aus to do a backpacking trip around a bit of Asia and firstly are wondering how many days you would book for a trip like ours and how many to allocate to each place and major places to visit... Plan is to initially travel to Phuket and from there move our way north through thailand, through laos and do the vang vieng thing , then onto vietnam where we will travel to Hanoi and visit ha long bay hopefully and then travel some of vietnam not sure howmuch..

Note all travel between places will be sleeper trains and busses... So if this was your trip how would you split it up ? [img]smileys/worry.gif[/img] also maybe could you help with how long the transport between each place will be... thinking 4-5weeks all up is it possible

#1 helmo645 has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by chinarocks on 16/2/2012 at 03:14

With no flights, to see anything resembling a decent amount in 3 large(ish) countries, you are definitely pushing it.

My first advice would be to cut Vietnam for this trip, as you appear to be starting in Thailand. Given that Laos shares a border with Vietnam and you don't want to take any flights, then it appears logical to keep Laos in. This way you could do 3 weeks Thailand and 2 weeks Laos.

If you insist on going to all 3 places, then in only a 4-5 week timeframe you will have to focus on certain regions in each country and come back some other time for the remainder. For example, just stick to Northern Vietnam for 11 days or so. Sapa, Hanoi, and HB. In Laos, similarly stick to the North - Luang Prabang, VV and Vientiane, in 10 or 11 days. This would give you two weeks in Thailand for Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

So,

Thailand - 2 weeks
Phuket
Bangkok
Chiang Mai

Laos - 10 days
LP
VV
Vientiane

Fly Vientiane-Hanoi for your own sanity

Northern Vietnam - 11 days
Hanoi
HB
Sapa

Good luck!!

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.