Trip reports forum

3-4 weeks in Eastern Thailand, Laos and Angor wat

• Sophief

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2012

Hello, i have 3 or possibly 4 weeks to spend, sadly no more, some time nxt year. I would like to visit LP in laos, and VV for the scenery, some of the mekong towns on thai or lao sides like nong khai, vientiane and all the way to Don khon in southern laos, then head to Angor wat. If time left, a trip to Ko chang or ko maak.

Is this itinerary realistic in 3 wks without the island bit?
    Is it difficult to travel in that part of asia? I,m more used to travelling in indonesia.
    Also I hope my choice of destination is relatively free frm the mass backpacker trail found in the southern part of thailand ??
    I,m not really interested in hill villages or hikes so am giving chang mai/rai a miss.
    Thanx for any advice.

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 13:44

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm on a 3 month trip right now and have done all the places you mentioned + more. Remember that that transport in Laos is not very good and it is very time consuming, going from north to south can really eat into your time... Personally, Khong Lor Cave/Village was a highlight for me in Laos, LP is overpriced (but a little like Pai - if your're into that thing) VV - well, the tubing culture there is obnoxious. Did Kayak & do some caves. Don Khon is no big deal. Better to go to Koh Chang & other islands... going to Koh Wai & Koh Mak in a few days myself. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is a must see, butreports of it being over run with bus loads of tourists have turned a lot of people off. I was there 7 yrs ago, it wasn't so bad.

You might be a little rushed, but it's possible, you will be spending a lot of time in transit.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 20:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 weeks eastern Indonesia ... By emrobe on 4 Jun 2012 1 1228 4 Jun 2012