Singapore to Bangkok

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Singapore to BangkokThis trip was completed in April so this report is a long time coming, it's also my first so be patient.SINGAPORE (three nights)Arrived in the early am and took a taxi from the airport to Hangout@Mount Emily. They had our room ready for us\a small little room with twin beds and a bathroom.I should have booked a double but it was only for 2 nights.The hotel is in a good location we walked everywhere and also used the hop on bus tour that rotates around the cityevery half hour.After spending 2 nights a the Hangout we had to try the Marina Bay Sands, all I have to say about that is nice hotel great swimming pool.We enjoyed Singapore the food and the sights

.MALACCA (2 nights)

Left Singapore by bus went through customs no problem, we did have some alcohol with us but since we were going to stay in Malaysia for more than 3 days we did not get charged duty.Arrived in Malacca in the afternoon and took a taxi to the Fenix Hotel. The room was small one window and a bathroom the price was right and the location was good. There is a good Korean restaurant across the street and a store that sells beer. We enjoyed walking around Jonkers street, shopping and just hanging out. We would come here again but maybe we will upgrade our hotel a little.

Kuala Lumpur (2 nights)

Arrived by bus and took a taxi to the Dorset Hotel (2 nights) we had a nice room there we could see the Petronas towers. We walked around a little and saw some sights a tour of Singapore at night I got some good shots of the Towers explored Bukit Bintang. The afternoon tea on Saturday is great seniors discount (55 years) the food is superb,great variety from sushi to bangers and eggs.Left early afternoon by bus to Penang forgot a painting at this hotel either the concierge forgot to put it in the taxi our we forgot it.We will never know but in the end it arrived back in Canada before us.Georgetown

Penang (2 nights)

After a four and a half hr bus ride with a few stops we arrived at the bus terminal where we got into a taxi and proceeded to the Noorden Mews for two nights.The outside of this hotel is nothing much but once inside it's amazing the staff greet you with cold water, towelettes to cool off after walking around in the heat.The room is small but quite functional they have a swimming pool and breakfast comes with the room. The hotel is close to the old section and a huge shopping mall. We however only saw Penang hill, the mall and the surrounding area. We both got a little sick either from the heat or something we munched on, we are thinking the heat because we both had nausea and it only lasted one day.The good news is that the manager has a boyfriend in KL and would pick up our painting and deliver it to Penang where she would send it to our daughter in Canada.

Langkawi (4 nights)

We arrived by air taking the plane from Penang and then grabbed a taxi to stay at the Fave hotel a fifteen minute walk to the beach using the short cut. This hotel is OK a pool to cool off after walking from the beach or from restaurants nearby.The room is small but clean with a bathroom, they have a restaurant breakfast came with the room. We did not do to much in Langkawi except take it easy walk on the beach, shopping is good here it's duty free.There are some nice restaurants here the Yellow Cafe on Cenang beach makes a great pizza.

Ko Lipe (5 nights)

We took a fast boat from Telega Harbour to Ko Lipe, an hour later we were clearing customs and having a beer. We grabbed a motorbike taxi which took us to the Green View Resort which is just a bunch of bamboo huts with electricity separate tiled wash rooms on the west side of the beach 200 yards from the walking street. The place is on the beach which is nice when the tide is in, very rocky when it is out. Greenview has a road next to it also some construction so there is a lot of noise the fast boats dropping off supplies and the construction does not make it a good place for siestas.Because I had planned too much and booked everything pre trip so we were stuck here for quite a few nights ( lesson learned about too much planning) Luckily I had brought ear plugs and ear buds for the MP3 player. We liked Ko Lipe and will probably come back again by another route and will stay at sunrise beach when the tide is out the water is still nice and the beach gets better.

Ko Kradan (2 nights)

Arrived at Ko Kradan and was dropped off at the Kradan Beach Resort we were staying at the Kradan Island Resort about 15 minutes away the trouble was is the tide was in and we had to wade in some spots which was pretty hard on my wife she ended up sitting down in the water with her back pack getting a little wet.We got to the resort which was way more rustic than the Greenview on Ko Lipe but the water was with 5 meters of the hut and they had hammocks. We read a lot here and swam when the tide was in, it goes out a long way. Ko Kradan is not on our list to come back to not much to do like K o lipe but very relaxing.We left Ko Kradan Island resort by boat taxi (go figure) and left by fast boat from the Beach Resort arriving Ko Ngai

.Ko Ngai (4 nights)

Dropped off at a resort hotel on Ko Ngai where a rep from the fast boat company sorted all of us to our respective hotels with the corresponding longtail.
    The Ko Ngai Cliff Beach resort is built on a cliff overlooking the entire area we can see approx four or five islands and the mainland at night.The rooms have AC a great treat after seven days of heat and no cool the rooms are good clean and have a good view of the area. T he swimming pool at the top has the best views and they have a bar there. The beach is small and there is a walking path to other parts of the island and other resorts we went one night to another resort for a change. I over planned we should have stayed just 2 nights and then left for Ko Lanta .

Ko Lanta(4 nights)

We booked a fast boat from Ko Ngai and ended up at the Ko Lanta pier a few hours later. I got touted at the dock and fell for it how was I to know the fast boat fee included transport to the hotel. Arrived at the Coco Lanta Resort it is situated on the north end of Klong klon beach and has a pool. The resort has little air conditioned cement huts with a bath room small clean and the staff helpful. We liked it here walking on the beach (not the greatest very rocky) and down the street about a ten minute walk is a Greek restaurant that gives you huge portion and sell ouzo.Saladan is nearby you can take a tuk tuk or rent a scooter from the resort for cheap. Shopping is good and so is the street food.Left Ko Lanta by car to catch an early flight to Bangkok I did not want to be late, I know a bus is way cheaper but.

Bangkok (3 nights)

We landed early afternoon and proceeded to the taxi where we were told a 50 baht surcharges to be paid to the driver plus the toll charges all was good when we arrived at the Chatrium the fare came to 260 plus the 50 and the toll I gave him 380 and he called me cheap I guess my math is wrong. He however did not press the problem he picked up another fare right away at the hotel.Bangkok wow more time is required after seeing the temples on the river and the market in china town and the MBK mall we had a few good days.The Chatrium is a nice hotel, it has a boat to take you to the sky train and the tourist boat pier it also has a nice pool to cool down after walking around all day.

I booked everything on this trip from home Agoda , Hotel,com and Easybus I have learned that pre booking everything is sometimes a bane than a blessing.Planning another one Bangkok to Vientiane then back to Ko Lanta then up to Krabi hopefully next spring.

#1 Posted: 1/7/2013 - 20:35

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yeah no need to book ahead outside peak times and provides greater flexibility. Unless you're staying 4 star up it's often not cheaper anyway as you can bargain face to face with the smaller places.

Sounds like you liked Lipe the best.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 08:51

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I did like Lipe a lot but I wish we had more time Ko Bulon and Ko Muk looked great
    from the fast boats. I wish I would have started traveling thirty years ago.

#3 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 18:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Oh well, you can't change the past so keep going. Start saving for the next trip.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 13:47

• Rishabh01

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2014
    Location India

Hi Dear
    Your trips seems to be awesome. Hope you enjoyed a lot.........

#5 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 04:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.