Trip reports forum

2 Months- Which Countries?

• Tweishaar

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2014

My friend and I have 2 months to travel in S.E.A. That said, Id like to hit Thailand, Laos , Cambodia and Vietnam.

Is 2 months a good enough chunk of time to comfortably hit all 4 countries? If not, I was thinking of excluding Laos.

-Must see/do : Diving , snorkeling , Temple running, occasional partying, beaching, Jungle trekking , Marketing.

-I do not want to feel rushed through things, but Id like to enjoy all the highlights, on and off the beaten path.

-Money is not really an issue on this excursion

-Also , if you think maybe one country is a must see , more than another, I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Thanks very much!!

#1 Posted: 31/8/2014 - 15:35

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Marketing????

That's the first time I've heard that listed as a SE Asia highlight!

In all seriousness, 2 months may feel like a long time when you're planning, but it does go fast on the ground. Distances can be long and transport slow, so people often find they're covering less ground than they thought they would. You say you don't want to feel rushed but trying to fit in lots of places is an ideal way to feel rushed. You also mention wanting sometimes to get off the beaten path - well, that takes more time than the well-trod route does (less frequent and slower buses, etc). So I'd recommend against trying to fit 4 countries into 2 months.

I'm guessing this is your first trip to the region, so I'm going to recommend that you allocate a big chunk of your time to Thailand (it offers pretty much everything you mention above). Throw in Cambodia for a few weeks if you want to do Angkor, or Vietnam for a very different feel than Thailand.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 01:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

We did a two-month trip through Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia back in 2006. We didn't feel rushed, but didn't get to all the places we'd hoped to visit either. antonia is right. That two months seems like a lot of time when planning but will go by fast on the ground. Because of their similarities and proximity, most folks pick Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia for a two month trip. You could do Vietnam instead of Laos if you wish, but it will cut a bit into the time you have available for the other countries.

If money isn't really and issue, then a few key flights will save you valuable time - like Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang or Bangkok to southern Thailand or to/from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh.

For most folks, starting and ending in Thailand is a good choice due to logistics. Plus, Thailand is a bit easier to figure out than nearby countries, which will help you settle in nicely. Save some beach time for relaxing at the end of your trip. Have a great time. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 17:55

• Tweishaar

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2014

Thanks you two, I appreciate the repliies.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 23:40

• FoundVagabo-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2014

It is enough time to at least see the highlights of each country.

I would not skip Laos - Luang Prabang is the coolest city in the whole region and it is very inexpensive. Plus the slow boat on the Mekong from there to northern Thailand is magical.

#5 Posted: 10/9/2014 - 20:03

• foodtravell-
    ife

Click here to learn more about foodtravellife
    Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2014

In terms of highlights, then as mentioned earlier, you might consider spending more time in Thailand as there's so many 'highlights', and you can do everything on your list there. Sounds like fun, enjoy!

FoundVagand, what is this slow boat from Mekong to northern Thailand? Sounds interesting

#6 Posted: 21/9/2014 - 09:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It would be very rushed. Antonia and exacto have it right. SEA isn't about seeing things, it's about pace of life. Slow down and smell the roses.

#7 Posted: 21/9/2014 - 10:11

• alexholl

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I'm from Viet Nam. I think most of SEA Countries are not rushed for you, I have some suggestion for you if you go to Viet Nam (My english is not good).

1. For the beach:

- Nha Trang beach is great -> clean, beautiful, many foreigners travelled here especially Russian. It's easy to travel to nha trang (buy bus or airplane with the cost is cheap, bus costs ~ 15usd for 8 hours, airplane less than 50usd for 30 mins) In this case I mean you travel from Ho Chi Minh City -> Nha Trang.

Must visit at nha trang: Vinpearland -> google for pictures :).

- Da Nang beach is great too, very beautiful and costs here is not expensive, very friendly. (Travel from HCM to Dang Nang cost ~ 50usd for over 1 hour fly)

2. Sightseeing:
    - Ho Chi Minh City (Southern of Viet Nam) -> many foreigners here, crowed and fun at night. Must visit:
    Independence Palace, War Remnants Museum, Duc Ba Church ... At night, visit Bui Vien Street for fun, drinking....
    - Ha Long Bay (Northern of Viet Nam)
    - Sapa (Northern of Viet Nam)
    - Ha Noi - Capital of Viet Nam (Northern)

If you wanna know more, you can send me email to: quangduy2812@gmail.com

I will be happy to help you if you have questions about Viet Nam, hope you have a nice trip !

#8 Posted: 21/9/2014 - 17:23

• Tweishaar

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2014

Thanks very much, I think my new attitude is to just wing it with a loose plan. Maybe Thailand + laos. Or just see what happens. Id be interested in meaning people and going with them anywhere, Ill probably just keep it open ended, other than a few things like hitting the beach, islands , diving , jungles , temples.

#9 Posted: 21/9/2014 - 21:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Wing it with a loose plan - now you're talking. See what you see. Get to what you get to. Whatever you don't get to, hit up the next trip. Have a great time.

#10 Posted: 22/9/2014 - 01:09

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
£3k. 3 months. 6 Countries. ... By Lost_Vagabond on 18 Nov 2012 2 2184 14 Feb 2013
8+ countries in 2 months? ... By thedunnyman on 21 Aug 2011 25 4219 11 Nov 2013
Itinerary - 2 Months, 4 countries. ... By jcs92 on 15 Jun 2013 5 1890 16 Jun 2013
Budgeting for 6 countries in four months? ... By mari111 on 14 Mar 2013 5 2076 21 Mar 2013
2013 - 6 months in Thailand and neighbouring countries ( malaysia, indonesia, bali ) perhaps? ... By subliminal29 on 15 Oct 2011 9 2283 27 Apr 2013