Trip reports forum

Any tips on my 7 week travel plan??

• kelpeta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going travelling for 7 weeks through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia between december and feb. We've got a rough plan of where and when but any feedback from those of you who have done it would be great!

We know its a tight squeeze to see it all, but we could cut into our island time (at the end) if need be.

Any places we dont have that are a must see?? Any places we could drop off the list??

Also, our plan is to 'go with the flow' (ie. no pre-booking)...is that risky at this time of year?

Day 1 (17 Dec) Bangkok. Overnight train to Chiang Mai
    Day 2 (18 Dec) Chiang Mai, sight-seeing
    Day 3 (19 Dec) Chiang Mai, trekking
    Day 4 (20 Dec) Chiang Mai , trekking
    Day 5 (21 Dec) Travelling to Laos (Huay Xai)
    Day 6 (22 Dec) Slow boat from Huay Xai to Pakbeng
    Day 7 (23 Dec) Slow boat from Pakbeng to Luang Prabang
    Day 8 (24 Dec) Luang Prabang
    Day 9 (25 Dec) Luang Prabang
    Day 10(26 Dec) Travelling: Luang Prabang to Vang Viene
    Day 11(27 Dec) Vang Viene
    Day 12(28 Dec) Vang Viene
    Day 13(29 Dec) Travelling: Vang Viene to Vientiane
    Day 14(30 Dec) Vietiane, Fly Vietiane to Hanoi
    Day 15(31 Jan) Hanoi
    Day 16(01 Jan) HaLong Bay
    Day 17(02 Jan) HaLong Bay
    Day 18(03 Jan) Hanoi . Fly to Ho Chi Minh City
    Day 19(04 Jan) Ho Chi Minh
    Day 20(05 Jan) Ho Chi Minh
    Day 21(06 Jan) Travelling: Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh
    Day 22(07 Jan) Phnom Penh
    Day 23(08 Jan) Phnom Penh
    Day 24(09 Jan) Travelling: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
    Day 25(10 Jan) Siem Reap
    Day 26(11 Jan) Siem Reap
    Day 27(12 Jan) Travelling: Siem Reap to Bangkok
    Day 28(13 Jan) Travelling: Bangkok to Islands
    Day 29 - Day 46 (14 - 30 Jan) Thai Islands
    Day 47(31 Jan) Travelling to Bangkok from Ko Tao
    Day 48(01 Feb) Bangkok
    Day 49(02 Feb) Travelling: Bangkok to London

THANKS!

#1 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 19:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi kelpeta,

I was about to say "skip Vietnam, you don't have enough time" then I got to:

"Day 29 - Day 46 (14 - 30 Jan) Thai Islands "

You got heaps of time! ;-)

I'd suggest shaving a few days off your island time and adding some time in Vietnam, then using that time to either head up to Sapa in the mountains, or break the journey at Da Nang and visit Hoi An. Perhaps fly Hanoi to Da Nang, see Hoi An, then take the train south to Saigon via Nha Trang perhaps... To add all that in and for it to be worthwhile, you'd need to shave 5-7 days off your beach time. Otherwise I'd suggest skipping Saigon, flying Hanoi to Phnom Penh and spending even more time on the islands! Depends what your priorities are.

Luang Prabang will be heaving on new years, but given anywhere that can be booked then is already full, it's no big deal not having a reservation!

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 19:35

• kelpeta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Thanks for the advice!

We were thinking of adding in Hoi An if time allows...thats if alls ok to go there now after the flooding? Anyone know what the situation is now?

#3 Posted: 26/11/2007 - 16:00

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hello Kelpeta,
    here are my points of views about these countries:
    Thailand is crowded of tourist and especially Chiang Mai which is a real tourist industry. I'd recommend to stay no longer than 2 days. Furthermore, the main point about Chiang Mai is the 3-4 days trekking but it is so touristy and about 50 USD. Skip this tourist industry and later on, when you will be in Sapa in Vietnam, the trekk is very similar and Sapa is very touristy as well but it is absolutely wonderful.
    If you don't want to be ripped off, please, read my trip report about trekking in Sapa,
    see this link

For Laos: I love this country because it is the less touristy of all its neighbour countries and it is a awesome place with so kind people which are not yet tourist oriented mind.
    I recommend to stay at least 3 days in Luang Prabang,
    Vang Vieng can be skipped unless you are looking for beer,pizza and Friends soap opera.
    Vientiane needs no more than 1 day, not very interesting
    There was 1 place I love in Laos, it's called Muong Ngoi, about 6 hours from Luang Prabang to the north east, quite remote village but a real delight and so authentic.
    You can fly from Luang Prabang to Hanoi, it is around 200 USD and it is cheaper with Laos Airlines than Vietnam Airlines. Ticket can be bought in Luang Prabang

Vietnam: your plan for Vietnam seems very short to me.
    Hanoi: 3 days
    Halong Bay: 2 days
    Sapa: 4 days but be sure to stay at surroundings of Sapa, not in the town.
    Hue: not to be missed: 2days (Fly Hanoi- Hue, 1 hour)
    Hoi An: very nice: 2 days (bus Hue- Hoi An: 4hours)
    Saigon: 1 day is enough !!! And do not go to the Cuchi Tunnel, it is a real tourist attraction, and the interest for the war is minimal.

Cambodia:
    Pnom Penh: 2 days, it is worthwhile to go to the Silk island
    Siem Reap: 3 days for the Temples

Well, I would recommand to cut down beach time in Thailand to have more time in Laos (amazing country) and Vietnam (to big to be visited in few days).
    But if you need more advice, feel free to ask me for me details.

Have a nice trip, South East Asia is so wonderful

#4 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 17:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NOV 12 - SE ASIA. Travel companions with a plan...or a plan ... By chocolat on 25 Jul 2012 1 767 30 Jul 2012
Help me plan my 3 week trip! ... By annak07 on 9 Apr 2009 3 2813 13 Apr 2009
A week off to Malaysia .. need help in reviewing my plan ... By skanthb on 27 Sep 2010 2 1868 29 Sep 2010