Trip reports forum

Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass Info

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Just booked a Discovery Pass with Bangkok Airways for my upcoming trip. Speaking to the US office (located in India apparently...) here's the deal: I had to provide ALL the flight details in advance (not only the 1st leg of the trip as I had thought). However, these dates and times can be modified as long as you book an e-ticket, as opposed to a paper ticket. For some reason the flight from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang could not be issued as an e-ticket and so my entire transaction had to be paper tickets, meaning it would be quite difficult to change the flight details (not to mention an extra $15 shipping charge). (For that reason plus other scheduling details we decided to exclude the SR-LP flight from our Discovery Pass and purchase it separately through Lao Airlines.

In the end we booked: BKK-> Siem Reap ($100 +tax), BKK->Samui ($75 +tax) and Samui->BKK ($75 +tax). Keep in mind that tax adds up--in my case to $116! So I paid $366 for all three flights instead of $473

Summary: -If flexibility is important try to book e-tickets.
    -Keep in mind that taxes can be a killer.
    -If you're planning on flying, this can save a nice amount of money.

#1 Posted: 29/5/2008 - 12:24

• Advertisement

• NEILEIO

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2008

thanks for putting the post up i was thinking of getting the pass myself i was just wondering if you knew was there a way to get it in ireland cheers

#2 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 20:12

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

I'd recommend trying to find a local Bangkok Airways contact number. Check out Travelfish's feature story on getting a discovery pass for a list of contact information throughout different countries: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/118
    If there's none in Ireland you could try calling/e-mailing another country. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 20:20

• paradise

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

I explored getting a discovery pass recently (also on phone to India office) but found out that at least one of the flights needs to be a route that Bangkok air flies - all of ours were Lao airlines (or Vietnam airlines which isn't part of this pass) - so doesn't look like we can take advantage of this. But looked like good savings on international flights e.g. Vientiane to Hanoi

#4 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 11:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Discovery Pass/ASEAN Pass/booking tickets from within SE Asia ... By Gabrielah on 27 Feb 2010 2 4196 5 Mar 2010
Ho Chi Minh City to BKK on Bangkok airways info ... By esseffe on 14 Jan 2007 1 1909 17 Jan 2007
Info on Laos and Bangkok air pass ... By longleat on 4 Nov 2006 15 3111 4 Jan 2007
discovery pass or an other ... By rigo on 29 Aug 2006 2 1763 31 Aug 2006
Getting an agent for a Discovery Pass ... By layrna on 26 Apr 2006 2 2032 28 Apr 2006
Discovery Pass or Excersion Fare with Lao Airlines ... By waymaur on 7 Jun 2010 1 2534 16 Sep 2010