Trip reports forum

Nightmare at Royal Palm Resotel Phuket

• phuketnomore

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008

I have just returned back after a weekend stay at the The Royal Palm Resotel with my 9 year old son.
    At 1300 Baht per night it initially seemed like a great offer. Unfortunately it turned out to be a offer with several catches to it:
    1. The hotel website did not and still doesn't inform potential guests that the pool together with the pool/snooker room is closed for renovation from July 1st until Sept. 30th. and that they are also renovating/extending their rooms.
    The former would have been important information as we from earlier Phuket visits know that the sea can be quite choppy with strong under currents, so there went out swimming holidays.
    The latter could have been acceptable if they could have kept the renovation/construction limited to the daytime. However, on our last day, we were awoken at 12:30 midnight by drilling and hammering on the lower floor.
    2. The housekeeping is very lax in cleaning the rooms and they seemingly have priority on cleaning up and preparing recently vacated rooms. After our first night, we went shopping and sightseeing after breakfast and returned home at 16:00 for a rest, just to find our room the way we left it 8 hours earlier, only to get a phone call at 17:15 by the housekeeping as they now wanted to make up the room. As we were sleeping, we declined.
    After our second night, we again went out early in the morning but returned at 14:00 to again find our room the way we left it. To avoid them again calling us when we were resting, I decided to call housekeeping asking them to please make up the room now, however, they did not return until 15:00 to make up the room (For the first time), we were basically just sitting around in the room for 1 hour waiting for them to graciously arrive.
    3. Upon checking out, the front desk manager called housekeeping to "Check" the room and as they had not returned a laundry bag for items I had sent for Ironing on the first day, I was accused of basically stealing a laundry bag!! until they realized they had made a mistake.
    4. Lastly, we had used a outside driver for our sightseeing tours and had arranged for them to pick us up at the hotel to take us to the airport, but upon the driver arriving at the hotel, the driver was informed that we had already checked out and gone to the airport, when we indeed were still at our room. Only because the driver had our mobile phone and called me, did we avoid having to use a hotel taxi (at over price) for the airport.
    If you want a stress free holiday I recommend that you steer clear of this hotel.

#1 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Good info, thanks.

#2 Posted: 30/7/2008 - 17:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.