Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Laos in a month

Posted by blackskin on 26/8/2008 at 16:55

We island hopped for a month from July 25, 2008 to August 24,2008. It was really.... adventurous, exciting, hot, eye opening, somewhat sad and a bit upsetting (I wont mention that here cause I mentioned that on the Laos page and I am in the process of ridding myself of it).

Anyway, we started our adventure in Bangkok. We were here for four days. Wow! the ride on the river boat was exiting and really convenient for hopping from Wat Pho to Wat Arun. These temples are magnificence, don't miss them. Also dry the different drinks on sale when you leave the pier on your way to and from the temples.. yum yum. There is also a little restaurant right on the pier where you exit to the temples, try it it. The food is cheap and really delicious.

DON'T miss the Chatucak weekend market nearby the MO CHIT station. Such variety and with many bargains. Remember Bargain Bargain Bargain. It was such fun.

Also be careful of the con men when you go to the temples telling they are closed or whatever just keep walking.....
If it's your first time pay attention to the differences between the 1000 bhat note and the 100 baht note, it's easy to confuse them. Also go to the Siam Paragon Mall just for the atmosphere. Just enjoy and take many rides on the sky train, ride in a tuk tuk too live dangerously for a few minutes.

After this we went to Hanoi and then on to Sai Gon. We stayed for two days in both places and flew from the former to the latter. We bought our tickets at an agent there for like 80 US. Whatever you do enjoy pho and go to the Cu Chi Tunnels and the Museum of Ethnology in Hanoi. Try the restaurant beside this mesum, the food is tasty. PAY ATTENTION TO THE TAXI METER IT RUNS WHEN YOU AREN'T LOOKING. ASKE YOUR HOTEL TO GET TAXI'S FOR YOU IF YOU DON'T WANNA BE RIPPED OFF. For us Vietnam on the whole was just ok but enjoy.

We went to Phnom Pehn and then Siem Reap. Don't miss Angkor Wat it is truly spectacular. Just ignore the pesky kids and enjoy this awesome architectural wonders. Go to the silk farm, get a massage by the blind masseuse and just take it easy in a tuk tuk.

We then made a brief stops in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Check out the Bird Park in the former- it's a big one plan for at least half a day and don't miss the twin towers (awesome at night) Also consume lots of cheap delicious Chinese and Indian dishes. In Singapore the zoo and the night safari definitely lived up to expectations and the staff are really friendly and helpful.

On the whole it was a good trip but we only scratched the service of what these islands have to offer. We will delve deeper next time.

#1 blackskin has been a member since 18/8/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by travelrock on 2/9/2008 at 07:19

"DON'T miss the Chatucak weekend market nearby the MO CHIT station. Such variety and with many bargains. Remember Bargain Bargain Bargain. It was such fun."

I found it too be expensive.

Did you not see anywhere else in Thailand?

#2 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by travelrock on 2/9/2008 at 07:20

"On the whole it was a good trip but we only scratched the service of what these islands have to offer. We will delve deeper next time."

Which islands?

#3 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.