Trip reports forum

Ko Jum/Pu

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I returned to Jum in November, this time staying on Luboa or North Beach, the rustic backpackers' style beach. I have a report on Luboa Hut and the beach in the "Places We Missed" section of the forum.
    Jum hadn't changed - still a very laid back island with 4 very nice beach areas and about 20 bungalow places to stay, including some flashpackers and midrangers. A new high end joint was going in at the south end of Ting Ray beach.
    It is possible to walk the length of the west coast by rock-hopping between the beaches. It took me less than 2 hours at an easy pace with frequent stops to shoot pix, and the rock-hopping was pretty easy under half tide. Much over this, the section between Ao Si and Ting Ray beaches becomes quite difficult. From North beach to Ting Ray takes around 20 minutes, the same from Ting Ray to A0 Si and it only takes 5 minutes to go either side of the small headland between Ao Si and the long Golden Pearl/Andman.
    On Golden Pearl, my previous visit's place of accommodation, Season, still had their lovely concrete flashpacker places at the same price, new and refurbished backpacker bungalows, the food was even cheaper than Luboa Hut and the beach seemed to have built up sand-wise.
    Towards the southern end of Andaman the bungalows at Joy seemed to have been refurbished. New Bungalows seemed almost deserted - it was one of the most crowded on my previous trip. There was a new bar - Go Bar - between New Bungalows and the older Paradise Bar at the southern end of the beach.
    The whole island is still very relaxed - I reckon I saw fewer than 20 beach-goers on my 4 hour return journey. This was before the Bangkok airport blockade, admittedly shoulder season.

#1 Posted: 12/12/2008 - 19:10

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

which beach is low on rocks and good for swimming?

#2 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 01:04

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

A lot more sand seems to have moved onshore in the 17 months since I last visited and most of the beaches looked okay, except maybe at lowest tide in a ffew areas.
    But the best has to be at the southern (Lanta) end of the main southern beach, Andaman - around Joy and New Bungalows.
    Ao Si looked next best.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 18:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.