Trip reports forum

Railay/Ton Sai/Krabi changes

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I hadn’t visited this area since March 07 so I made a point of getting back there last month. Some of the changes I noticed:
    * Long tails (shared) from Ao Nang to West Railay now 80baht, from Krabi town to East Railay 150 (!!!!), from Ao Nam Mao to East Railay 60.
    * Songthaews (daytime) Krabi town to Ao Nang 50, bus station - Ao Nang 60.
    * A van went directly from the Krabi pier to Ao Nang for 200 - I talked it down to 120.
    * Quite a few of the songthaews which run to villages south of Krabi town had "Airport" written on them, which suggests they now call in to the terminal. I also saw a very small cross between a tuk-tuk and a songthaew waiting just OUTSIDE the carpark gates at the new Krabi pier with AIRPORT written on it. Good news - looks like the airport taxi mafia's monopoly has been broken.
    * A new place south of East Railay beach: On my longtail in from Ao Nam Mao I noticed a few bungalow-like roofs uphill to the south of LAST BAR on East Railay. So I walked thru the bar - a path just above high tide level runs around the rocks abt 100m to a set of steps leading up to RAILAY GARDEN VIEW RESORT. This is apparently a fairly new flashpacker and gets a good review on Trip Advisor or similar. It started pouring rain when I reached the stairs so I didn't continue on to check the joint. Something for you guys wanting somewhere different.
    * On East Railay itself, a new upmarket place - ANYAVEE, just past the path to the Diamond Cave.
    * A heap of construction just south of Ya Ya - it looked like PRINCESS RESORT is expanding from its "inland" location behind Ya Ya, Sand Sea and areas south (the place is huge) to the beachfront. ).
    * Up from East Railay into the high valley past the Diamond Cave, HIGHLAND has really expanded - it has a new hotel-like extension and has reopened the refurbished and expanded restaurant with the great views. It is now calling itself PHURIT VALLEY RESORT although the old HIGHLAND moniker is also shown on a lot of signs. Prices have moved up - I was quoted 1800 aircon 1200 fan-hot water 800 fan. I think these include breakfast.
    * Further up the track, RAILAY CABANA has pulled down all its oldest cheaper bungalows - not sure what the plan is. The newer bigger ones are still there - there are some with twin double beds for 800baht before bargaining. Cabana may not always be the quietest location these days - a new bar was tucked into the cliffs just 50m east of the above bungalows - and was advertising a party for that night and frequent Thai wrestling shows.
    * A fair bit of refurbishing and new building on the loop track and side track at Ton Sai.
    * Tonsai’s big new mid-beachfront project everyone has been talking about for 18 months: there was absolutely nothing happening here - no barbed wire, no new structures, all the old beachfront bars etc in the middle section gone. TONSAI BAY RESORT and its great beach bar against the cliffs still going strong.
    * The biggest difference on West Railay is that RAILAY BEACH CLUB has considerably more houses and bungalows. Still not cheek by jowl, lots of trees but looking more "busy" than before.

#1 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 10:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As always, much appreciated tezza.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 10:04

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

i thought it was 100 baht boat to railay from ao nang

railay - rip off prices for drinks

#3 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 00:54

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

t-rock - a recent post on another forum also mentioned 100 - maybe too many people jacked up. BTW, this was just BEFORE the recent dive in oil prices.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2008 - 18:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ao Nang or Krabi or Railay ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 4 9065 27 Mar 2014
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3589 17 Nov 2010
Railay Beach/Krabi ... By cameoalexa on 13 Nov 2012 3 2309 19 Nov 2012
Krabi/Railay Beach Stay? ... By Summer89 on 10 May 2011 1 4116 10 May 2011
Looking for a travel buddy to/around Krabi/Phi Phi/Railay...April 1st-? ... By Travelguy76 on 3 Mar 2014 0 402 3 Mar 2014
Extended stay in Railay/Krabi - advice ... By Lachmantf on 24 Sep 2012 3 2101 12 Oct 2012
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1928 28 Jan 2013
Krabi and Railay - places to stay on a budget ... By Worldtraveller on 25 Feb 2010 1 4902 25 Feb 2010
Ko Tao - Chumphon - Krabi - Ao Nang - Railay - Tonsai with Fame Tours ... By danandhan on 20 Jan 2010 2 7735 24 Jan 2011