Trip reports forum

Ko Libong

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ko Libong is the biggest of the Trang islands, and along with Ko Sukorn, the least touristy. This is a place you come to to swim, lie on the beach, snorkel, maybe take a walk along a rainforest lined road or thru a fishing village - and just relax. There are no tourist restaurants or bars outside the resorts. The resorts can arrange trips to adjacent Trang islands, nature excursions and diving.

There are only 3 resorts, spread along a nice beach approximately 3km towards the southern end of the west coast. Ko Libong Beach Resort and adjacent Le Dugong are towards the northern end and Ko Libong Nature Resort is around the curve of the beach at the far southern end.
    I’ve stayed in the first 2 - I reckon Beach Resort is the best all rounder - it has more and a bigger range of bungalows including some nice aircon family jobs, the nicest restaurant and seems to be prepared to offer very good discounts on advertised rates when things are slow. There is a dive-shop.
    Le Dugong is almost as good but only had 10 bungalows, 8 flash-packer with bathrooms and 2 backpacker with outside facilities. For people seeking a more personal, itimate destination, it is better than Beach Resort.
    Nature Resort has attractive looking bungalows and restaurant, but food prices were almost double the others’ in Nov 08, and the beach while still attractive has more rocks both on sand and in the water. Nature Resort has had a reputation in the past of pushing its nature excursions pretty hard.
    I’ve done a report on my bungalows at the first 2 places on TRAVELFISH'S Libong accommodation page.

The landscape at Libong is pretty attractive. The western two thirds of the island is mountainous and covered with rainforest. There are only a handful of villages connected by mainly dirt roads, although some sealing was going on when I visited in late Nov 08.
    Main activities seem to be fishing and some cash-cropping.

Libong is the easiest of the Trang islands to access. Public longtails shuttle across from adjacent Hat Yao pier at Ban Chao Mai roughly hourly for 50 baht - about 20 minutes. Motorcycle taxis will then take you around to the resorts for 100. The pier is reached from Trang by hourly minibuses - 70baht and around 1 hour. If you are coming from downtown Trang the minibus terminal you want is about 2 km from the station area on the main road north to Krabi. This is not too far from the bus station.
    If you are coming from Phi Phi, Lanta, Ngai, Muk, Loaliang, Adang or Lipe, the Tigerline ferry stops in at the Hat Yao pier.

#1 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 17:57

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

good review thanks

#2 Posted: 8/1/2009 - 22:52

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

good info tezza - thanks

#3 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 04:52

• sergejsu

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007
    Location Latvia

Just came back from daytrip to Koh Libong.

I think it is important to emphasize that a seabed in front of all three resorts, incl Le Dugong, is not a sandy one, but a rocky one. Rocks are not that sharp as corals but still a feeling not really relaxing while walking on them as 're quite slippery.

The landscape view when from the sea indeed is really nice and reminds more Society is. of French Polynesia like Hua Hin than Thailand.

The only swimmable beach with fine sand both on the shore and at the seabed I found was the Tokae bay closest to mainland on the western side of the island. Very pleasant experience, the beach is deserted , contained into the bay and is appr. 150m long. Is worth longtail boat travel for just swimming.

"No dugeonds today, yesterday I saw the them" - I was pretty critical to this statement of the guide from Le Dugong resort. However I still give some fair chance that it could be true as we honestly waited for 1.5hrs to creatures to appears , but they didn't, and it was close to noon - not a proper time for meeting them.

Beside Koh Libong itself, Chao Mai caves were excellent attraction - quite number of chambers, various fantasy stalactites like elephant etc., and the cave very pleasantly was completely dry and thus safe. Bats surely meet you there too.

#4 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 01:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Thanks serge, good info. Actually, I found walking abt 500m north along the beach from Ko Libong Beach Resort/Le Dugong - towards the headland - found much sandier bottom (still a fair few small coral bommies) and less problems re shallow conditions low tide.

I dunno abt the dugong-spotting. Those sea-grass areas between Libong and the mainland are supposed to be the go - but when I approached the village pier on the longtail coming in, a Thai lady from one of the shops calmly walked down with a huge plastic bag or rubbish and dropped it in the water. Tell me how that agrees with the digestive system of yer typical dugong!

#5 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 14:49

• sergejsu

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2007
    Location Latvia

That's a positive news that there is no need to go with longtail boat from resort area to get to a swimmable beach.

In respect of dugongs, is "sea buffalo", as mentioned in various travel guides, incl. Travelfish and Lonely planet, for not so far away Koh Sukorn ( and a lot of them should be there ), just another term for dugong aka manatee aka sea cow? May it be that Koh Sukorn as less developed island offers better chances for spotting of the creatures.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2009 - 01:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.