Trip reports forum

Warning: Pick Pockets in Nha Trang!

• alfbort

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I already posted this on a thread in the Trip Reports forum but thought I'd put it here as well as a warning to others. Basically I let my guard down and got pick pocketed in Nha Trang last night. It was my own fault really and there is even warnings in my guidebook about the particular area in Nha Trang where it happens. I was in Why Not Bar with a few other fellow backpackers when one of the guys had gotten very drunk and needed to be brought home. I said I would walk him the few minutes to his guesthouse, I even left my wallet with a friend in the bar but I was a bit tipsy myself and forgot to leave my phone. Once we got outside it all happen very quickly, 3 or 4 motorbike taxi guys came up around us offering us taxi rides while a woman came over and started hugging me offering her services, all this is fairly common here which is why I thought nothing of it and walked on. I dropped the guy off and walking back to the bar I realised my phone was missing at which point a motorbike taxi guy pulled up and said he could get my phone back for me for 400,000 dong. I really needed my phone back so after about half an hour of negotiating they brought me to a quiet street away from the bar and the exchange was made. Not a very nice experience at all and I have learned a valuable lesson(Never let your guard down in Vietnam!).

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 15:20

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.