Trip reports forum

best route to travel in se asia

• ctam2009

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

just wondering the best route to travel while in south east asia. i'll be there with my girlfriend from september until december, and was initially planning to head from bangkok -> laos, then to vietnam (hanoi) and then back down south through cambodia and finishing up the last few weeks in the gulf of thailand. if anyone would suggest an alternate route (thinking perhaps heading the opposite way instead), i would appriciate the feedback. thanks.

#1 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 13:04

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Looks good to me. I guess your next step is to research and choose all of the border crossings that you will use. Also if you want to head south through Vietnam or check out Southern Laos and cross into Cambodia that way.

#2 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 21:08

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The Andaman coast will have better weather than the gulf of Thailand in December. Other than that it looks an OK plan to me too.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 06:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would recommend against taking sand to the beach... but that's just me.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 11:27

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ctam2009

I figure you'd be hitting Laos & northern VN at about an OK time.

Other than that, if you accept that you'll be in SE Asia from Sept - Dec, and so don't concentrate too much on getting at some place because the weather @ the place is supposed to be 'right', I suggest you'll be fine.

I made some comments here that I would have presented here. So, please pick up the ideas I was suggesting there and apply them to you.

Personally, with the time you've got, I'd be trying to steer clear of the Banana Pancake Trail as much as I could (go here to read that thread).

As has been said by so many others on Travelfish - the must see places aren't must see in the same way as Europe, etc. Rather, it's being in a (hopefully non touristy) place to soak up the way SE Asians live, enjoy and emote.

On deciding where to go, what to do, etc, try not to rush around like a blue-arsed fly. Just cruise!!! ...(on this, I wrote a few words here).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 12:42

• peteverunka

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2009

ctam2009, i too have spent the last couple of months trying to decide the best route around. Alot of similarities with your trip (travelling from bangkok, with my girlfriend, starting in October09) except i have decided to go the other way. My route:

Bangkok -> Cambodia (Koh Kong border) -> Riverine crossing to Vietnam -> up vietnam and into Laos -> back into thailand -> down thai to Malaysia -> out at singapore.

I'm not quite sure why we are going this way round, i think it fits fairly nicely to potentially spend christmas in Chiang Mai and New year further down thailand. Also was told by a pretty enthusiastic guy that the journey down laos can be quite an adventure that way.

My main concern at the moment is thai visas, we plan to stay in thailand for the first part for no more than 14days. I'm hoping its safe to wait until Vientiane, Laos and apply for tourist visa at the thai consulate there [fingers crossed].

#6 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:28

• sherlin

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Before planning your travel destination , it is very important to understand the climatic condition of that particular place as it will help to make the prior preparation .China ,India,japan ,singapore ,Dubai are some of the places where in you can discover the epitome of beauty.
    To find more travel destination in Asian continent visit this site http://www.travelasia360.net

#7 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 18:13

• Bien00

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

There are several routes to travel to asia, I think that the best route can be throgh by air, it is the fastest way to travel.

#8 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 19:56

• Bernard00

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2010

The best is this, I think that you have shown a wide variety of all the work, I would say that keep on posting forums like this.

#9 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 18:15

• Stanko00

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

I can say that the forum is very much reliable about the times share talk, just keep it up!

#10 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 19:20

• Advertisement

• chrisrarmst-
    ead

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2010

There are some great suggestions here for us newbies. Thanks for the shares.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 06:28

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Laos to Vietnam could be a pain by bus - the bus journey from Vientiane to Hanoi is infamously bad and the possibility of travelling from Southern Laos to Hue is to be regarded as theoretical even if you find a travel agent that'll sell you tickets.
    (I actually did the latter: after getting a partial refund for a joint ticket involving a change to a bus that wasn't going to turn up for two days I had two days of good fun meeting surprised locals and failing to flag down long distance buses whilst hopping between towns on local transport. Not a route I'd recommend though.)

Thailand to Northern Laos to Southern Laos to Cambodia to Saigon to North Vietnam and then a cheap flight to BKK from Hanoi (to finish up in the islands) is probably the most logical itinerary - if you book at the right time an AirAsia flight shouldn't cost much at all. Flights from Laos, on the other hand, tend to be quite expensive.

If you're intending on taking the slow boat in Laos between Huay Xai (Thai border) to Luang Prabang, you'll probably be sharing the boat with fewer first-time tourists if organise your itinerary so you go the other way (Laos to Northern Thailand), which may or may not be a good thing.

#12 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 01:10

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

if you wish to arch south through Vietnam or analysis out Southern Laos and cantankerous into Cambodia that way.

#13 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 09:20

• steevennsmi-
    thh

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2013

it is depend to where are yo go to in Asia.

#14 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 13:23

• parveen7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2013

There are so many places. I recommend for Andaman Coast..

#15 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 00:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

No best route. Depends what u like. Following others around like sheep makes no sense unless you are all identical.

#16 Posted: 24/12/2013 - 04:12

• TerryThomps-
    on1

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2014

Very nice ..........i like it.

#17 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 00:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia Travel route ... By KRStamm on 9 Apr 2009 1 3875 22 Apr 2009
Travel advice SE Asia - Route and Transport ... By Scott1987 on 31 Aug 2011 1 2103 1 Sep 2011