Trip reports forum

thailand, cambodia and hcm vietnam

• splashtree

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi all. quick post on how the travels are going so far. about 1/3 throu SE asia so i thought i'd post.
    flew into bkk on 1st sept. stayed near khao san in sawadee khao san. 720b a nite but nice room and very good service. chilled out for 2 days and took in the crazyness on bkk. did a sight seeing tour for a day and had a blast.
    3 nite total. hotel rating 6.5/10. nice but pricey

went down to pattaya. 400b arranged throu hotel agent. nice minibus with ac. stayed at pattaya sawadee just because i got discount. 600b a nite. again, nice room and good service.spent nights on walking street taking in the atmosphere and having a beer or 4. did an elephant trek thru elephant village of pattaya. 800b for 1 1/2 trek. mainly just hanged out on beach and had drinks in evening.
    3 nites. hotel rating 7/10.
    didnt want to waste time and money going back upto bkk to get to cambodia so went from pattaya. 1400b from pattaya to poi pet in mini bus. throu boarder, they took an extra 100b over and above but it made it an experience trying to negociate with cambodian customs officials. good government bus to main transport depo and taxi into siem reap.
    stayed at shadows of angkor. $17 a nite but had rive view and free wifi. spend my evening on bar street drinking 50 cent beer and did a day pass to temples (i know some will say i should of done more but 1 day was fine for me). went out and saw the landmine museum, 15km out of town. we paid $15 for journey but there was 4 of us so only $3 each. took the next day to have some more down time and wandered the streets of siem reap and arranged bus to phnom penh, $8. bus ride ok and for money what more can you want.
    3nites. hotel rating 7.5/10
    stayed at number 9's in pp. nice little backpacker hang out and for $4 a nite, great. eat, drink and sleep for $10 a day. did the trip out to killing fields and s-21 as well as a nice museum for $14 in tuk tuk for 2 of us. spent next day wandering the river area and taking in the atmosphere of pp. bus to hcm city $9 but good bus.
    3 nites. hotel 4/10 but for $2 each if you share, bargin and great for meeting other backpackers
    got to hcm city mid/late afternoon. stayed at hotel 127/madan cuc. great reception there and the girl really look after you. $23 a nite twin room and free wifi and breakfast and dinner included.
    went to see war museum which was great and then the reunification palace and got free tour. each museum was 15000 dong, so less than $1 u.s.
    today, 16th sept we went to see zoo and gardens in hcm. alot better than i expected and the animals seemed in good condition for a SE asai zoo, believe me, i've seen alot worse in thailand. zoo was 8000 dong so under $1.
    planning on taking nite train to da nang and then bus to hoi an tomorrow and then upto hue. will post again a 2 wks.
    hope this info helps and if anyone would like to anymore just add comment

#1 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 16:08

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Great post thank you

#2 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 14:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Glad you're having a good time. Thanks for the update.

#3 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 19:59

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

Enjoyed your update.
    I would like a little detail on your train trip to Da Nang.

Emery

#4 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 05:40

• splashtree

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

caripito, got train from hcm city. train left on time at 7pm. cabin was ok, had air con but we had asked for bottom bunk and ended up with top bunks. little cramped and not much space for backpack so slept with it on bed, not very comfy. squat toilets but it is a vietnamise train. read a book and tried to sleep. got to da nang, again on time and got taxi to hoi an.

train was $45 including taxi from hcm city to train station. we could have flown for $56 but it was definatly an experience not to be missed.

hope this info helps

#5 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 14:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Splash
    How did you like Saigon... the feel of the place? How was the nightlife?

#6 Posted: 27/9/2009 - 01:14

• donmillerx

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Great report, thanks.

#7 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 11:30

• effi_kiki

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2009

sounds amasing:) pretty much the same trip im planning for next month, so really useful post! if you dont mind me aking, what was the pace of the trip like, as you covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time, did it feel rushed or did you get to see everything you wanted?

Kiki

#8 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 08:29

• craigdon

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009

Very informative. I'm planning on doing a similar route early next year (but in reverse), so it is nice to get the cost in perspective!

#9 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 20:00

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

Splashtree: Thanks for the report on the train. Your previous report was great. Consider keeping us udated. Still in Seattle but will be in Saigon in 3 weeks.

#10 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 00:46

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.