Trip reports forum

First time in Asia

• yayorc

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2009

Hi all,

Other than a week working in Tokyo and going from hotel, to office buildings, to nice restaurants, I'm planning my first trip to Asia at the end of November. I am flying solo in and out of Bangkok on November 28 and December 13 respectively, and am having trouble deciding where I should go. I have two ideas:

1) travel the coast of Vietnam, north to south, for the length of the trip

or

2) head to Chiang Mai, and head down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap/Angkor Wat, and finish in Bangkok.

Is the second route at all possible in 15 days? Would you advise someone on their first solo trip in SE Asia one way or the other?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 06:03

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hello,

i think you are packing too much into option number 2. with two weeks to spend you could do the quick trip to chiang mai and then through laos or cambodia but not both. logistically, cutting out cambodia would work best, since that would leave a big loop through northern thailand, over/down to luang prabang and vientiane, then back to bangkok. even that would be a bit rushed but still possible in two weeks.

how did you plan to get to/from vietnam in option 1? regards.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 11:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I agree with exacto -- drop Cambodia and spread out north Thailand and Laos over the two weeks, otherwise you're going to be travelling too much of the time.

#3 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 13:13

• yayorc

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2009

What if I dropped northern Thailand and just did Laos & Cambodia? Or do you think I'd be missing out?

#4 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 17:31

• yayorc

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2009

I'd fly from BKK to Hanoi and from Ho Chi Minh back to BKK if I went to Vietnam.

#5 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 17:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i don't think you'd be missing out if you skipped northern thailand in favor of cambodia, but i think the logistics of visiting both laos and cambodia in just two weeks would be difficult, unless you were willing to fly most of the time.

what you could do is instead of going to luang prabang, make your way up to vientiane from bangkok or any point in the southern part of laos, then make your way overland down to siem reap and then back to bangkok. i think that would fit in your two weeks.

#6 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.