Trip reports forum

Singapore to Vietnam in 5 weeks??

• srose88

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Hello
    Myself and a friend are about to book tickets for a 5 week visit in SE Asia (possibly a little longer as we're getting a flexible outgoing flight).
    The plan was to fly into singapore and make our way through Thialand and Cambodia to Vietnam (flying out of Hanoi.

The first leg from Singapore to Bangkok - we have looked into a train journey for this (www.seat61.com) described as the 'jungle line'..any recommendations?
    In general are tains/buses especially challanging in SE Asia?

Also any suggested routes? Do you think 5 weeks is long enough/is travel expensive? and any general advice?

Thanks for any help/advice given!

#1 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 02:54

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

If you want time to see/do anything, I recommend at least 1 flight.

Is there anywhere you want to stop between Singapore and Bangkok? The direct route is > 24 hours on the train, and "the jungle line" is NOT the direct route!

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jungle_Railway

The timings for the Jungle Line aren't super-frequent (1 or 2 each day, early in the AM), so if you actually want to do this whole leg by train (including the Jungle Line) I imagine it would take about 3 days from Singapore to Bangkok (to get the timings right!).

If nothing piques your interest between Singapore and Bangkok, I'd suggest flying. Or at least fly from Singapore to Phuket or Krabi for a couple days at the beach, then travel overland to Bangkok from there

#2 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 12:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.