Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Singapore to Vietnam in 5 weeks??

Posted by srose88 on 26/11/2009 at 02:54

Hello
Myself and a friend are about to book tickets for a 5 week visit in SE Asia (possibly a little longer as we're getting a flexible outgoing flight).
The plan was to fly into singapore and make our way through Thialand and Cambodia to Vietnam (flying out of Hanoi.

The first leg from Singapore to Bangkok - we have looked into a train journey for this (www.seat61.com) described as the 'jungle line'..any recommendations?
In general are tains/buses especially challanging in SE Asia?

Also any suggested routes? Do you think 5 weeks is long enough/is travel expensive? and any general advice?

Thanks for any help/advice given!

#1 srose88 has been a member since 26/11/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by idreamofdurian on 26/11/2009 at 12:34 TF writer

If you want time to see/do anything, I recommend at least 1 flight.

Is there anywhere you want to stop between Singapore and Bangkok? The direct route is > 24 hours on the train, and "the jungle line" is NOT the direct route!

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jungle_Railway

The timings for the Jungle Line aren't super-frequent (1 or 2 each day, early in the AM), so if you actually want to do this whole leg by train (including the Jungle Line) I imagine it would take about 3 days from Singapore to Bangkok (to get the timings right!).

If nothing piques your interest between Singapore and Bangkok, I'd suggest flying. Or at least fly from Singapore to Phuket or Krabi for a couple days at the beach, then travel overland to Bangkok from there

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.