Trip reports forum

South Africa to Bangkok

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

I'm finally here, and after a years planning, I've chucked my whole itinerary and am shaking it up a little. This is relatively easy as I had booked nothing other than my flight.
    After about thirty hours of flying, waiting and transferring I landed in Bangkok via Doha. Qatar was my cheapest option. I took the express bus (AE2) to Khoa San Rd, cost 150 baht. I think this was inflated for Dec, I remember reading on a post that it should cost a third of that. Oh well. what can we do?
    So in mid December I found myself walking a crowded street at 21:00 dragging a bag thats wheels decided that now was the time to break! I saw the sign for "The New Joe Guesthouse" and remember it getting some good reviews, so made my way there. It was fully booked, so I continued a little further on and found "Sawasdee Inn" with rooms available. 850 baht for a double bed and bathroom, about twice what I'd intended spending, but I was so knackered, I just payed without hassle. It is probably too much for what you get, but after waking up with a hangover I opted for another night here, instead of looking around a bit more, so I guess I don't think its that bad.
    Khao San Rd is exactly what I'd expected, I walked up and down twice, just soaking up the atmosphere and smells. I ended up at a bar that had just stopped serving dinner so I had a liquid meal, on an empty stomach, earning myself that hangover I mentioned. There was a house band that played covers of Hendrix, The Doors, Guns 'n Roses and other rock legends, in fact I think their name was Legends of Rock, can't remember the name of the pub though. It was extremely good fun but a little too noisy for conversation, not that that stopped the Aussie at the next table from chatting away and telling me his story. I have no idea what he said or what his name was, but he was cool, rock on dude!
    After getting sufficiently lubricated I walked The Road again, and was accosted by all sorts of characters, the most memorable being Amy, who said that I must take her to Koh Chang on holiday, because she really cares for me. I had known her for about a minute! She walked arm in arm with me for a little way, offering massages and happy endings, trying to hitchhike on my holiday. After reaching my street/alley, I managed to untangle myself from her grasp, although I think by this time she had picked my pocket, or maybe I just spent it! Thankfully it couldn't have been much, just a couple of loose bills, I had left the bulk of my cash and wallet at the room. I awoke with a Thai beer hangover, and decided against doing any kind of travelling today. I payed for another night, went to the 7/11 for supplies and climbed back into bed for a few hours. I was grateful for the aircon that I didn't want to pay for, its like a million degrees outside.
    I was planning on Koh Chang but am now heading to Samui tommorrow. Plane or train, I'm not yet sure. I'm travelling alone so I can change my mind as often as I like! My whole morning has been spent changing my mind, I need a change of head!
    I can hear Bob Marley tunes coming from the Reggae Bar so I think its time for a little hair of the dog that bit me, and maybe a bite for me. Thats all for my first night in Bangkok, I'll keep you posted!

#1 Posted: 17/12/2009 - 15:07

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

That's a nice little story,Greenman.Good to see you've been inducted into the Thai beer hangover club.Was it the Chang beer?

#2 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 13:40

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

It was a mixture of beers, but I think the Chang and the Tiger beers were the culprits. I'd learned to avoid the whiskey on my previous trip, although I do see a couple of buckets in my future.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 09:40

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

It's very strong the Chang-gives me a headache.I like beer Singh and quite often,although not always, drink it with ice.The beer lasts longer and you stay sensible for longer.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 14:03

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Beer with ice. I can only do that if the beer is not cold enough, which is often the case over here.

#5 Posted: 23/12/2009 - 15:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Multi-passport travelling (Irish + South Africa) ... By jemjems on 24 Nov 2011 0 1117 24 Nov 2011
Recommended itinerary for SEA from South Africa for 4 weeks over Dec 2013/Jan 2014 ... By claireshean87 on 23 Feb 2013 2 1516 2 Jul 2013
Lonely in Paradise!! (currently on Koh Samui travelling Thailand, Malaysia, Oz & South Africa) ... By jenny_wickett on 29 May 2009 5 3818 14 Aug 2009