Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

South Africa to Bangkok

Posted by greenman42 on 17/12/2009 at 15:07

I'm finally here, and after a years planning, I've chucked my whole itinerary and am shaking it up a little. This is relatively easy as I had booked nothing other than my flight.
After about thirty hours of flying, waiting and transferring I landed in Bangkok via Doha. Qatar was my cheapest option. I took the express bus (AE2) to Khoa San Rd, cost 150 baht. I think this was inflated for Dec, I remember reading on a post that it should cost a third of that. Oh well. what can we do?
So in mid December I found myself walking a crowded street at 21:00 dragging a bag thats wheels decided that now was the time to break! I saw the sign for "The New Joe Guesthouse" and remember it getting some good reviews, so made my way there. It was fully booked, so I continued a little further on and found "Sawasdee Inn" with rooms available. 850 baht for a double bed and bathroom, about twice what I'd intended spending, but I was so knackered, I just payed without hassle. It is probably too much for what you get, but after waking up with a hangover I opted for another night here, instead of looking around a bit more, so I guess I don't think its that bad.
Khao San Rd is exactly what I'd expected, I walked up and down twice, just soaking up the atmosphere and smells. I ended up at a bar that had just stopped serving dinner so I had a liquid meal, on an empty stomach, earning myself that hangover I mentioned. There was a house band that played covers of Hendrix, The Doors, Guns 'n Roses and other rock legends, in fact I think their name was Legends of Rock, can't remember the name of the pub though. It was extremely good fun but a little too noisy for conversation, not that that stopped the Aussie at the next table from chatting away and telling me his story. I have no idea what he said or what his name was, but he was cool, rock on dude!
After getting sufficiently lubricated I walked The Road again, and was accosted by all sorts of characters, the most memorable being Amy, who said that I must take her to Koh Chang on holiday, because she really cares for me. I had known her for about a minute! She walked arm in arm with me for a little way, offering massages and happy endings, trying to hitchhike on my holiday. After reaching my street/alley, I managed to untangle myself from her grasp, although I think by this time she had picked my pocket, or maybe I just spent it! Thankfully it couldn't have been much, just a couple of loose bills, I had left the bulk of my cash and wallet at the room. I awoke with a Thai beer hangover, and decided against doing any kind of travelling today. I payed for another night, went to the 7/11 for supplies and climbed back into bed for a few hours. I was grateful for the aircon that I didn't want to pay for, its like a million degrees outside.
I was planning on Koh Chang but am now heading to Samui tommorrow. Plane or train, I'm not yet sure. I'm travelling alone so I can change my mind as often as I like! My whole morning has been spent changing my mind, I need a change of head!
I can hear Bob Marley tunes coming from the Reggae Bar so I think its time for a little hair of the dog that bit me, and maybe a bite for me. Thats all for my first night in Bangkok, I'll keep you posted!

#1 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by Thaiman on 19/12/2009 at 13:40

That's a nice little story,Greenman.Good to see you've been inducted into the Thai beer hangover club.Was it the Chang beer?

#2 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by greenman42 on 21/12/2009 at 09:40

It was a mixture of beers, but I think the Chang and the Tiger beers were the culprits. I'd learned to avoid the whiskey on my previous trip, although I do see a couple of buckets in my future.

#3 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by Thaiman on 21/12/2009 at 14:03

It's very strong the Chang-gives me a headache.I like beer Singh and quite often,although not always, drink it with ice.The beer lasts longer and you stay sensible for longer.

#4 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by greenman42 on 23/12/2009 at 15:36

Beer with ice. I can only do that if the beer is not cold enough, which is often the case over here.

#5 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.